Thread: Trend Micro Corporate?

Question Trend Micro Corporate?

Just trying to get a general consensus on this product. My company wants to go this root as it is cheaper than Norton, but I've had no experience with the particular product. We're going with OfficeScan and the ScanMail for Exchange.

Also, if you happen to have good experience with it, I was wondering how well it updates over RAS. VPN is a little out of the way for the outside sales guys here, and they aren't computer saavy, and the Trend-Micro site isn't very forthcoming about the info. Neither is google, that I could find.

Any help is duly appreciated.

-DarkGuardian
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

What buisness are you running? This affects the security of your antivirus program. If you are running a bank or something, you will need a top of the line antivirus program along with a top of the line firewall (to stop hackers from stealing money and getting confidential info). if you are running a video store or something, you will need a fairly good antivirus program along with a fairly good firewall (to stop hackers from screwing around with accounts). and if you are running a variety store you only need an antivirus program to stop your computers (if computers are even used) from getting crashed by viruses. you can get programs with great antivirus and firewalls. A good one to look at would be McAfee VirusScan 6.0 Professional. This has McAfee VirusScan (does a great job at stopping, detecting and cleaning viruses) and also has McAfee Firewall (a very highly secure firewall with neat intrusion detection system). I suggest you get McAfee VirusScan 6.0 Professional. I have this program and I bought it for $59.99 at the place where I bought my system. This is cheaper than Norton Internet Security 2002 (and Norton AntiVirus 2002) and way better. you won't be disappointed!

Trend Micro is not very accurate and I've heard nothing but bad rumors about their firewall. go to www.mcafee.com for more info on VirusScan 6.0.

Obviously, I'm not in a bank. If I were, I don't think money would be too much of an issue. But I do need something significant. E-mail is the biggest problem, virus wise, so the better the server side, the better off I'll be.

Anyway, I can't use McAfee because it interfers with our proprietary software server side, and they want a complete solution, not a mix and match. Most of our desktops use McAfee already, but as I've said, they want a complete system. We've got lots of roamers who connect via RAS, so I'm looking more for how well it pushes out updates through a 56K.

But Trend Micro is that bad, virus wise? Firewall is going to come a little later (things are a bit out of wack here as the office is currently under construction) and I can go anyway I please on that front. But mostly we're deciding between Norton and Trend, with the lean toward the cheaper Trend. I'd prefer Norton out of the choice, but I don't necessarily get that final decision.

Trend Scanmail is tops for scanning email incoming and outgoing.; It updates every hour. For desktop protection I use Norton AntiVirus Corporate edition which is very good.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

I'm not really sure about this product, but Esafe Protect Gateway, mail-scan, or Enterprise might be something else to look at. http://www.esafe.com

From what I have heard (based on here), I have heard not many good things about Trend Micro. I have not tried it though. You can get just mail scanning programs, like Trend Scanmail (I have not tried), but you will also need a desktop antivirus. If McAfee interferes, you can get something like Norton Internet Security 2002. This has Norton AntiVirus 2002 (which scans incoming and outgoing e-mails), Norton Personal Firewall 2002, Content Blocking (allows blocking of XXX and offensive sites) and other stuff. Almost all AntiVirus programs scan incoming and outgoing e-mails on default settings, or if not default you can set them to. My workplace has Command AntiVirus (another good antivirus) that scans all incoming traffic (including e-mails) and can be updated. Command is also a good desktop antivirus. I have it installed on my computer and it does a great job. You can also get a corporate edition of Command. Find more info on it at www.commandsoftware.com Command AntiVirus does not have a firewall and is available as a free trial version on their website.

what kind of email system are you using. if its exchange go with Norton av for exchange. it works as a plug-in to exchange. although they dont seem to be as ontop of things as sophos they are a bit cheaper.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thank you all for your input. Trend Micro's desktop AV appears somewhat inadequate, although their ScanMail is incredible, updating every hour (or so I've been told). However, after finding out the small size of the updates for Norton, they've approved my original suggestion of Norton AV Corporate w/ Exchange.

I still would have gone w/ Trend Scanmail for Email and Norton Corporate for desktops. It's the only way to go!!! Virus free since 1999!
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead