Microsoft & Windows aint that bad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft & Windows aint that bad

Red face Microsoft & Windows aint that bad

To all of those who bad mouth Microsoft...can YOU build something better? Yes YOU! Well can you? Just a thought!

TechieChick
    Um....geez....switch to decaffe or something. Most of us here support a whole bunch of lusers..er..users on MS boxes and have systems at home running a variety of different OS's.

That doesn't mean we can't whine and kvetch about how miserable it is to protect a network with swiss cheese security.

Post Re: Microsoft & Windows aint that bad

Originally posted here by retfarcratS
    To all of those who bad mouth Microsoft...can YOU build something better? Yes YOU! Well can you? Just a thought!
    Hmm I can't... But I'm not blaming microsoft. I don't think that you should place your question in this way - It's like when I say cheap bicycles are piece of crap and dangerous to use. In your logic I can't say it because I'm not able to make better one...

But I would place other question - ok many people say Microsoft is sh..t, fu... bla bla bla. But could this people use internet, print files, draw pictures without windows? Yes I know, many of you will now tell LINUX. But I really don't think that everyone blaming microsoft is able to use this OSs. (and I'm not even talkin about installing it and setting it up).

So everynone! - before you blame microsoft place yourself this easy question - am I able to do all that staff I'm doing right now without microsoft products?
    Answer is NO - shut up!)
    Answer Yes - Do it!) And stop using that baaad microsoft products. Change your OS (linux, mac)...

bye
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

Originally posted here by TechieChick
    Um....geez....switch to decaffe or something. Most of us here support a whole bunch of lusers..er..users on MS boxes and have systems at home running a variety of different OS's.

That doesn't mean we can't whine and kvetch about how miserable it is to protect a network with swiss cheese security.
    Agree .

It's easy to blame.. I do use M$ myself.. Hmm instead of whine I'll let this thread speak for itself .

Banned
    Basically i dont diss like Microsoft or Windows or IE or any of that..... i think alot of people ARE jelious and thats why they badmouth Microsoft for being billionairs...... i DO think that MS could put some more time into their OS instead of putting it out into the market when its still full of bugs and should still be in beta stage........ i think that MS should have a bigger Beta department as well.... and i know this sounds rediculous but why not assign different parts of beta to different teams and actualy hand them the source to their area that they are beta testing that way they can find a problem and KNOW how to fix it, including security flaws....... maybe this will make the MS source come to public, but it will be in bits and peices......

I dunno just a thought that would actualy help MS more then ruin it.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I think that MS is a lot better than most people give them credit for. A lot of people here are raving how Linux is THE BEST and make it out to be the answer to the world's problems. I disagree.

People who love Linux always complain and say look at how many patches come out for their software. Yet if you visit (for example) the Red Hat Linux errata page, Red Hat is full of holes! Software will never be perfect, because humans are fallible and they are the ones creating it.

I personally use both types of software, and I PREFER M$ as my desktop OS of choice, while I like Linux for servers. Its a matter of choice, what one likes better.

My 2 cents.

- ura
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

I do not drink coffee...I do however use Microsoft products...I used to use Mac's...but no money in that anymore for me. I am an enduser of many Microsoft products...so...does that make me a *luser*. How funny it is to read these quips about Microsoft. They deserve MUCH more credit than anyone ever gives them. So what if they produce software that has holes in it?

Is there an OS that does not have holes?

well...first of all you should be specific...are you talking m$ os or m$ app...

win2k patched locked down and tweaked is a stable, secure os...and i'm actually quite fond of it....

on the other hand...i got a copy of office xp with one of our new dell..and frankly..i hate it...bloated, slow, featuritis up the wazoo...m$ has tried to make office software so "easy" they have really created a monster...i don't want word to be an html editor or a page layout program...i have progs that are created for that....and do a MUCH better job...

this has really been the problem with m$...i would bet that fewer than 10% of people use more than 10% of what these programs can do...they are very powerful...but they just don't need to be for most applications...most people don't even know what the icons on the toolbar do, let alone what is buried in the menus...

of course the reason they do is simple...their business model requires it...new "features" means upgrades..which means cash flow...

but these user friendly "features" leave their software open to so much abuse...(outlook anyone?)...the scripting and macro features are great for a corporate intranet manager who can automate and enhance but for 99.5% of people...it's just not needed....

do i love m$...no....do i hate m$...no...m$ is like my car...i use it to get things done...sometimes i have to fix it...sometimes it costs me money...sometimes i'd like to burn it to the ground...and sometimes it takes me to the mountains for my vacation...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

AntiOnline Newbie
    Any OS - or any software for that matter, is what you make of it. Windows, Linux, OSX, whatever product you are using, is worthless if you do not take the time to understand it and also to maintain it.

During the age of DOS, the introduction of Windows had a major impact on the computing world. When Win95 was introduced (late as it was...) everybody went ga-ga over the Plug & Play and all the other "bell & whistles". When Linux was introduced, people were falling over each other to get at it, then bitched cuz they couldn;t get drivers for the video cards, sound cards, etc.

The advent of NT and the eventual overshadowing of Novell was due to improvements over what currently was available.

None of this is possible without patches, hot fixes, upgrdates, upgrades and so-forth. Every release of new software has bugs. Its a fact of life. If not, there'd be no necessity to label versions (v3.51, v4.0, v7.0, etc.).

And too, without some customers becoming disheartened with a product, it is never improved. And competitors do not try to "build a better mouse trap". Microsoft has always tried to provide a "one-stop" solution for their customers by providing an OS with all of the services and connectivity you will need in one package. nad try to make it simple and affordable at the same time.

People always complain about the price of M$ products going up, but remember that Linux first started out freely distributed... Now there are flavors selling for $70-$80 depending on what you want. Granted, some are still freely available, but the fact remains, everybody wants paid for their work.

If the automotive industry didn't constantly improve their products to make them safer, more reliable and more efficient, subpoenas would be handed out like Christmas cards due to the amount of lawsuits that would be filed. Why then to we penalize and villify a software company for doing exactly that?

TechieChick
    So we're accused of being elitist in regards to other OS's while you're doing exactly the same with MS?

Big freakin deal....I earn my money working with Microsoft's products, as zigar says, it pays the bills. I know the work arounds, I know the holes to patch and yes...I'm going to whine about it on occasion.

I think the bigger question is why did you jump all over us on your second post to the site ever? If we irritate you that much just go away. Windrivers.com has a forum strictly for Microsoft products. Go there and post your heart out.