Thread: ports 48908 and 49164

ports 48908 and 49164

First time post....

Im new here and have done a bunch of reading and searching, but i cant find the answer i need...

Im on a WinME machine (its my work comp) and a local host port scan revealed open ports 48908 and 49164...

does anyone know what services these ports are for?

Thanks in advance!

Banned
    Hmmm, I did a search on google and it didnt come up with any good results... All the ports above 1024 are dynamic (any program can run a service on them if it wishes to) Try to connect to the ports, and scan your machine for spyware and trojans
    Good luck!

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    ya those are client ports as acid said. I would suggest closing them. I really don't know of any progs that use those ports.

Check out aplleshare ip.. I think that may be what port 49164 is

try fport from foundstone it will tell you what program is running that has the port open
    www.foundstone.com

I appreciate everyones help!

I took ac1dsp3ctrum's advice and ran adaware and the cleaner... both turned up with nothing...

and i got fport thanks to AngryBob, but cant seem to get it to work at all... but im still playin with it.

but i didnt understand xmaddness's recomendation to close the ports. I dont know how to close ports other than stop the application holding it open, and i cant figure out yet what is holding these open... is there a way to just close em?

again, thanks for your replies!

Banned
    To close a port just use a Firewall (ZoneAlarm, {URL=http://www.sygate.com]Sygate[/URL], or Tiny) Then in the firewalls options choose to block incoming and outgoing access to that port, that way no program can send information from that port to a website or another computer and no one can connect to your computer

to use fport just put it in the path, open a command prompt and enter fport.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

i really wouldnt suggest to close them ports UNLESS u know what uses those ports.. what if those ports are important and have to remain open..?

i suggest u find out first what program or application uses that port.. and if those apps have an alternative port if those ports are closed..

Banned
    well somtimes when you run a firewall and tell it to ask before incomming/outgoing data go from that port it will tell you what is using it.... just a hint.

I suggest Tiny Personal Firewall
    tinysoftware.com