Problem with ZoneAlarm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with ZoneAlarm

Angry Problem with ZoneAlarm

I have a problem with ZoneAlarm OR my LAN connection...You see when I go 2 work I turn my "lock internet" on ZoneAlarm" (I leave my computer on, but monitor off), Then when I return home I "unlock" it...when I go and hit "E" (internet on desktop) My internet will not come up.
    Now when I go into "My Netrwork places" (on desktop) and hit properties, then go to LAN connection and disable the connection...wait3-5 seconds...Then I enable the connection, I get internet.
    OR when I dont get internet, I restart my computer...and guess what? I get internet...I dont understand it and no way where I am if having that problem...
    3 of my friends have ALL that same setup and they are not getting this problem, ya'll are my last resort...If I cant get help, I will have to never leave my computer on, or take 3 minutes to access the internet instead of 5 seconds...I REALLY would appreciate any help....
    Why today?

If you have Cable or DSL witch I assume you do from the wording of the post. Some Cable and DSL ISP's use DHCP and dynamic IP's to keep people from running servers or they have there DHCP update often. So what happens is that when you cuts all conections to the net, you also cut all ties to the ISP. So your machine does'nt know what IP addy to use and has to wait to be assigned a new one. As well. Some Cable and DSL providers "modems" go into a sort of sleep when no connection is detected. So it takes it a bit to warm up so to speak. Just like when you first had it installed. It took it a couple of minutes to pick up a carrier so to speak. I could get into it a little more, but there are to many other things to factor in. You should be OK running with the firewall on without the lock while you are gone. Just make sure windows file shares are off, your OS is patched to current and your antivius is up to date. Oh, and you can set your security up a notch or two in ZA before you leave and then set it back down.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

OK, I take it your using a Windows 2000 or XP.....

If your wanting to just stop applications from accessing the net while your away, in your ZA rules, there should be one for TCP/IP Services (I'm not completely sure, I'm going from memory here)... Allow this to travel through the internet lock, and you should be able to unlock your firewall and access straight away...

If this doesn't work, try creating a batch file on your desktop, with something similar to this in it...
    ' ------ Start Batch File -----'

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

' ----- End Batch File ----'

This should release your IP address, and then renew it.. which should allow you to continue using your net connection without a reboot or disabling the connection (as when you disable & enable the connection, it grabs the IP addy from the DHCP server..)

Again, I can't say that this will definately work, as I'm going off the top off my head.. but it should work...

On the bypassing of the lock for TCP/IP services, I'm not sure if that will work if your running Windows 9x, as I haven't used it for quite some time and can't remember if ZA detects your PC's TCP/IP services...

Confirmation of this from anyone would be nice...

Thanks,
    Matty_Cross

Another note to my previous statement about the batch file. If you have more than one adapter in your PC, you should specify which adapter you wish to release & renew on, otherwise it will release & renew all adapters in your PC..
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Matty,
    I have the same sort of set up....... The DHCP at the Cable sups. end is the hassle... you must be on a busier segment than me, mine rarely changes IP despite the 4 hour rule.... but use the ipconfig /renew method occasionally....

As an Aside, put ZA on a friends laptop...they use the 'Dial in from anywhere' AOL service, and during the log on phase ZA will block the handover on protocols, failing the connection. Only way ive found to get round it is to remove AOL each time and then re-connect. anyone else seen this, or know of the best way to resolve?
    Who Cares Wins

Sorry matty,
    meant to address the header for Uncanny....

one of those mornings
    Who Cares Wins

try running the truevector service agin, that loads up ZA.
    or goto Start>run>winipcfg (if 9x system dunno bout 2k)
    and renew all.

preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

winipcfg don't work in 2K by the way. But the batch file Matty mentioned should work!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Talking

Better still, you could use a real firewall instead of ZA. Get Outpost or use a *nix box as a hardware firewall!

www.agnitum.com
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...+as+a+firewall
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Hey ya'll thanks for help...I am trying the TCP/IP think first and if that works...I will let you know sometime after I get home thanks again.......
    Why today?