Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unix O/S

Unix O/S

I read alot about unix operating system and i got a book about this great o/s and i ended it

but i dont know from where can i get this o/s

can any one give me a link for this o/s . i know that his size will be large

plzzzzzzz
    What an individual gain if he won the world and lost himself
    Mad 4M U

you sound like you want Linux not Unix (it's nearly the same anyway)..
    goto www.redhat.com or www.mandrake.com or www.suse.com
    ensure you have a fast connection and a CD burner (if possible)
    and download some iso's

Have fun!

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

Banned
    IBM and HP both have UNIX systems that they sell, SUNs Solaris is a very powerfull UNIX OS especialy combined with SUN hardware(its what powers this site at the moment)

If you are looking for a Free UNIX for a regular PC you can try the BSDs wich came from UNIX directly, FreeBSD is very secure and its a good OS.... another UNIX-based OS is Linux, Linux was built to give a free verseion of a UNIX-like OS when UNIX was expensive.

linuxiso.org is a great place to download iso image files of Linux and FreeBSD .... also search google.com for other UNIX LINUX or BSD OSes

Any *nix OS is very powerfull for servers and networking and security, you have made a very good choice

I'd recommend Linux over Solaris (or other 'proper' Unix)
    Linux is fairly easy to start with, Solaris is a hard OS to learn.
    Start with Linux and if you still want to, try an Intel Solaris (still free I think).

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

Banned
    Yeah your right but it seems he has his heart set on UNIX, lol..... and the Intel Solaris 8 is still free but no more free Solaris anymore bah!!!!

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    FreeBSD

Thats all I have to say
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

FreeBSD is a good choice if you need it to be low cost. And if Mad read a Unix book and you tell him to get Linux, he's going to ber dissapointed because nothing will be where he expects it to be.

Keep in mind Linux is viewed as the Windows 2000 of the Unix world. It's pretty and it's simple.....

Try using www.google.com You'd be amazed at the number of hits you get.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thank you all i wont expect all this answers and ideas

but i want Unix not Linux i have a free Mandrake Linux but i didn't install it coz i dont how

i tried to install it but i lost my hard drive coz it asked me about Swap partion and root partion

and i learned unix o/s and its commands and i cant find its Cd in Egypt as i am egyptian

and no one in egypt or in arab countries know it

and i met some ine before in chat and i asked him the same question he gave me some sites

likewww.ugu.com , www.sun.com and

www.plantmirror.com

but i dont know from where can i get it i searched in these sites for a long time

i hope any one give me a link to any version of this great o/s

and thank you allllllllllll
    What an individual gain if he won the world and lost himself
    Mad 4M U

Banned
    unix and linux commands are basicly the same (i think). if you just want the to work on a command line environment, dont install the images. i think linux offers an option for the kind of installations you want to have.

Banned
    also you can buy the linux/unix cd distributions online. they are "cheap". this is one of the many sites that you can use to buy that stuff:

http://linuxcentral.com/

just look under the "linux central cd roms" section on the top.

hope you find what you are looking for.