Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Startup FIles

WinXP Startup FIles

What are other places in XP where some one could put something like a batch file so that it would run on logon/boot other then startup and registry in run?
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Win XP is the worst OS i ever seen, personaly i recomend that yo delete Win XP and Intall Mandake or if you like windows use ME or 98SE lol

Originally posted here by gabriel_c
    Win XP is the worst OS i ever seen, personaly i recomend that yo delete Win XP and Intall Mandake or if you like windows use ME or 98SE lol

That has to be the worst reply I've ever read. And lately, there have been some really bad ones. Actually advising to run ME? Just plain crazy talk...

Back to the question...Other than placing the file in Start Up or in the registry values, Run or RunOnce, I have no idea. I'm sure one of the Windows Guru's here can help you out....

C'mon Winblow's Guru's....help this guy out! Sure, he prolly wants to build some Ub3r l33t trojan that can't be detected by any AntiVirus progs....but still....he's fellow geek in need!

Gimme a break Conf1rm3d_K1ll, I was asleep...

Windows XP, like Windows NT/2K, does not use the traditional Autoexec.bat & Config.sys.

These Operating systems use Autoexec.nt and config.nt, which can be found in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32..

and gabriel_c... your an idiot... I mean, not only did you recommend ME, which carries the death penalty, you didn't even give any proper advice....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

just fyi, it's not for a trojan, havent touched one of those (on purpose) in a long while. It's to get my friend admin access on his bro's comp, and I'm just going through and trying to find a way to do it. I have a script that will add him to administrators group, just cant get it to run when the admin logs on. Of course i dont have permissions when logged on to edit in the registry, and I dont know much about the new sys files like autoexec.nt and config.nt. Mabey some one out there knows a diff way to tweak permissions when they are very limited.

Banned
    Been doing some research, and here's what I came up with:

Autoexec.nt isn't used by WinXP. It's used to initialize a DOS-environment: only if you open a DOS-window, autoexec.nt will be loaded. In that autoexec.nt-file, there are a couple of options: it'll probably load a cd-driver (mscdexnt.exe), a soundcard-driver, and the actual DOS-prompt (dosx.exe, also in your system32-directory)...

So, it's basically the same as the autoexec.bat-files on older DOS-system and does NOT affect Windows.

The same goes for Config.nt: just a DOS-initialization file, build up the same way as config.sys files: it'll load dos in your upper memory blocks, and set a files-limit. Again, WinXP is NOT affected by this file.

Window's boot-files are system.ini, win.ini and boot.ini. If you open msconfig (start --> run --> msconfig), you'll notice that you can exclude programs from being started at boot-up, but you can not add programs. You'll need registry-access to do that...

There IS a way to do it, though... Haven't tested it out yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work: Just open msconfig and look at what programs are started at boot-up. Let's say you have a C:\Program Files\Norton\nortonav.exe in there. Now, rename that nortonav.exe to let's say nortonav.bak, copy the program you'd like to see added to c:\Program Files\Norton, and rename it to nortonav.exe.

Don't hack Windows, fool it...

Don't hack Windows, fool it...
    Negative makes a good point windows security is mostly smoke and mirrors. I remember back in high school I wanted to change the resolution on my monitor but we were locked out of the control panel. So what I did was just go to help. Did a search for control panel and low and behold there was a link to the control panel that worked perfectly.

Thanks Negative, that was a really clever idea. Fooling windows is always better then hacking it... Anyway, thanks all for your help!

-cross

Re: WinXP Startup FIles

What are other places in XP where some one could put something like a batch file so that it would run on logon/boot other then startup and registry in run? [/QUOTE]

I had not tested yet in XP, but maybe you can insert a "run=your_bat_file.bat" under "[windows]" section in the win.ini file.

Tell me if you do it...