Mandrake Question

Thread: Mandrake Question

Mandrake Question

I curently have mandrake 7.0 installed using the lnx4win setup now I know it is very slow because it uses the windows FAT partion which it not designed for it. My current pc has a 166mmx chip and 64mb of ram. Would getting a second hard disk and upgrading to mandrake 8.2 be any faster?

The second hard disk would be linux formatted

Running it on a FAT filesystem probably slows it down reasonably... a faster CPU would definitely help, but getting it on a native filesystem is probably a good idea as well - it's been a long time since I've tried to do it, though, so I don't know exactly how much improvement you'll get from simply giving it an ext2 or ext3 filesystem (probably quite a bit though).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

The maxium this pc could go up would be a 200mhz chip, Not really the best thing ever, althought it might be an inprovement until I build my new pc in the summer. Thanks for your help, I thought putting it on a second hard disk might help but I have only really just started to use linux(about a month) So my knowledge is pretty bad.
    Anyway I will get a second hard disk has soon has I can and the faster processer and see what it is like then

Thanks again

Running Mandrake on a FAT32 partition will slow it down considerably. The processor is irrelevant - I run Mandrake 7.2 on a P120 with 32MB RAM, and it responds faster than Windows 2000 on an AMD K6-2/450.

Giving Mandrake its own drive (or, even, partition) will help immensely...

I have a thread in the Tutorials forum about installing Mandrake, it was from quite a while ago so you may need to search back to find it, but its definitely worth reading if you're gonna try installing Mdk onto a drive/partition of its own!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

I just been talking to a friend online he is going to give me a 6gb hard disk for 15 I would install windows on that and mandrake on the 3.2 gb hard disk Do you think staying at mandrake 7.0 would be a good idea? I have looked at 8.2 and it seems to surport my hardware better than 7.0

Upgrading to a newer version is usually better, and in the case of mandrake, easier... You get a lot of newer software with 8.2 than 7
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Hi,
    I'm using Mandrake 8.2. I haven't used any of the earlier versions, but I can tell you the set up wizards make it pretty easy to install. They have recommended mode and expert mode. Expert gives you more control.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I curently have mandrake 7.0 installed using the lnx4win setup now I know it is very slow because it uses the windows FAT partion which it not designed for it. My current pc has a 166mmx chip and 64mb of ram. Would getting a second hard disk and upgrading to mandrake 8.2 be any faster?
    Yes, it would be quite a bit faster. Just another reason to convert to Linux .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.