Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skimpy skivvies for girls 10 and older

skimpy skivvies for girls 10 and older

after reading NetSyn's post i came accross this at:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/gen/may02/43941.asp

---------------------------------------------------

Calling it the "modern-day version of Underoos," a national clothing company is selling thong underwear in children's sizes - with the words "eye candy" and "wink wink" printed on the front.

Abercrombie & Fitch, the same retailer that enraged parents last year with a summer catalog of teenage-looking models groping each other and in the nude, now offers several varieties of thongs at its Abercrombie stores, the division of the company for children 7 to 14 years old.
    "It's cute and fun and sweet," said Hampton Carney, spokesman for the company based in New Albany, Ohio.

But some parents are far from tickled. In fact, they're outraged.

"I think of myself as fairly hip, and I think it's just disgusting," said Julie McNamara, a 40-year-old mother from Whitefish Bay.

The thongs, part of Abercrombie's summer line, sell for $7.50, or 3 for $15. Some have stripes, others are solid pink or blue. The solid-colored thongs have the words "eye candy" printed in a little pink heart and "wink wink" in a small green box.

The rearless underwear comes in sizes for girls ages 10 to 16. The smallest size - a medium - appears small enough to fit an even younger girl.

McNamara said she was livid when she stumbled upon the thongs while shopping for her three children at Bayshore Mall. She grabbed a pair and confronted a clerk at the register.
    "I said, 'Will you tell me what this is?' They said, 'I know, I know, you're the fourth one today,' " McNamara said.

The flap over the thongs is not the first time that Abercrombie & Fitch has caused controversy for its edgy themes and designs.

Last year, the company caught ire from parents over its quarterly catalog, which was filled with models who appeared to be college age or younger in the nude, kissing and fondling each other.

The company defended its publication, calling it a celebration of a youthful and spirited yet responsible lifestyle.

------------------------------------------------

"...youthful and spirited yet responsible lifestyle"? how responsible can a 10 year old be?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Abercrombie & Fitch, the same retailer that enraged parents last year with a summer catalog of teenage-looking models groping each other and in the nude, now offers several varieties of thongs at its Abercrombie stores, the division of the company for children 7 to 14 years old.
    That's not cute...it's disgusting. "Eye candy" on a ten year old's crotch isn't what I would call a good idea.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

OMG, what has the world come to? With all the pedos lurking in the world, the last thing we need is a line of undercloting to entice them even more. Even more disturbing is the defense tag

The company defended its publication, calling it a celebration of a youthful and spirited yet responsible lifestyle.
    That sounds like a pedophile owns the joint. Moreover, it gets worse if you add this after the above statement:

The thongs, part of Abercrombie's summer line, sell for $7.50, or 3 for $15. Some have stripes, others are solid pink or blue. The solid-colored thongs have the words "eye candy" printed in a little pink heart and "wink wink" in a small green box.
    If that is not outright nasty, I do not know what is. This truly is an outrage, and this company needs to relook at its line, go out of business, or better yet, take the person who came with this idea out to the firing squad.

To sum it all up:

Banned
    On that same website there are quotes from the company on the right side.....
    It's cute and fun and sweet.

- Hampton Carney,
    spokesman for the Abercrombie & Fitch
    Hmnmm, Is it just me or does this guy sound like the kind of person who rapes 5 year old kids for fun, I think these are the kinds of people that are pedophiles...

It's not appropriate for a 7-year-old, but it is appropriate for a 10-year-old. Once you get about 10, you start to care about your underwear, and you start to care about your
    clothes.

- Hampton Carney,
    company spokesman
    Yep, Same guy... But this time hes commenting on what teens and preteens should think (what is he, 30? 40?) And hes talking about that 10 year olds care about their underwear and their clothes, Wow, They must have a pretty good marketing department....

If you read on that same page A&F has had problems with racial charecatures lately......
    In late April, the company again inspired protests and boycotts over a T-shirt line featuring Asian cartoons with slanted eyes and coolie hats.

"...youthful and spirited yet responsible lifestyle"? how responsible can a 10 year old be?
    True. But how often does a 10 yr old, go shopping for clothes, and such? Now, I don't have kids, and I'm far to young to even have a 10 yr old. But, one would think, that a child of that age, would not be out shopping for their own clothes, by themselves. Perhaps i'm not up to speed with today's kids though.

Anyhow, I can see the controversy. But (there is always a "but"), it is merely a style. Want an example? Ok lets take the 1800's (for stark comparison), the women/girls of that age, wore several layers of "under-garments", over the years, they got smaller, shorter, and less. Today, under-garments are nearly nothing compared to 100 years ago. And with Abercrombie & Fitch producing and selling, what has been available to "older" girls, is simply evolution.

What is the harm of this? And I truly do mean harm.

Of course it may lead to things, that people just don't like. But hey, YOU are the parent, NOT these companies, so PARENT your child.

That is all, have a nice day.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Banned
    I have one thing to say: What the hell did you expect out of a company like Abercrombie?

Banned
    A&F is a really big ass company, you'd think they would care about more their image....tedob1
    I just got posetive antipoints from tedob and I have to comment on this...... Big companies can afford to not care about their image, Take Microsoft for example.... If they gave a flying **** about their image then Windows would be a perfect, open-source, bugless OS... but they dont, and it isnt.... The only people who actually do care about their images are the little companies because they cant afford to not care about it... I hope you actually understood what I said

Someone sells my daughter (who is almost 10) thong underwear had better use the money to go buy some life insurance........ Nuff said.......
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Good for you P2P. Why can't people let kids be kids? One of the big problems with this world is sexualizing children. Some people will do anything to make money it seems.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

All you conservatives, hang on to your hats......

It's going to get a lot worse than this.
    KapperDog