Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: PC Virus, is it a living thing?

Where did you get the def for life from?
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

-Melissa.2312 has feelings too
    I think you're getting confused with life and intelligence. No computer has been able to be self-aware yet, what makes us as intelligent as we are. Many living organisms have no intelligence, so don't get it confused. As far as biology is concerned, the computer virus does not classify as "life" as it doesn't exist in such a form. However it is alive as far as the computer is concerned because it is similar to a real virus in these conditions, it duplicates, infects, and can destroy if it duplicates enough or if something sets it off.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

So maybe Virii are alive...

Are worms? How about programs? This makes life a little more complicated...

My own 2 ยข:

I think computers are alive, and we use them just like we used horses, donkeys, and the like. Sure we created and trained them, but does that mean they cannot be alive. If you really think about it, what makes a computer that much different from a plant of some kind? The require power input (AC for computers, sunlights for plants), give a postive output for giving them what they need (computers - data processing, plants - tasty fruit in exchange for spreading seeds). Its not a perfect analogy, but I think there is a good arguement to be made that computers are alive, if not intellegent. I think people are afraid of making that intellectual leap, as it would threaten there place in their conception of the universe....they would either be not special, or Frankenstien-esque creators....
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Banned
    Eer... Pecosian...

When I wrote:
    Melissa 2312 has fellings too
    I was joking to what an environmentalist's protest sign could read....

jcmcb... the way your 2 cents sound similar to an earlier post of mine, stating that we created the computer, programmed it and trained it, but we will also do that with clones. Being, create them, program them with certain memories (maybe) and train them like infants....

Banned
    Was watching The Matrix a few days ago and I found it funny for this tread...

Agent Smith (A computer bot) called humans a virus....

Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.

Thumbs down Independence

The difference is in the independence. Human viruses can't live independent and just need s.th to feed them. But nowadays PC viruses has a wide range of meaning . Trojan servers are also viruses which unlike human viruses doesn't need to reproduce or need s.th too feed from and all the codes which does s.th malicious will be considered as a PC virus and maybe it will remove itself after from example crashing the target PC but in human the only purpose of viruses are to live more.

What if somebody's pacemaker got a virus?
    new + delete = safe sex

Con: A virii is not senscient nor is it truly aware of it's own existance. It has a lack of senses.

Pro: We are not a computer virii, so perhaps we lack the lack the physical sense to understand them.

---Aku. Soku. Zan.

1. Bio viri are a result of a living world therfore alive.
    2. Computer viri are a result of human intervention and interaction, a bio viri need not a human to elvolve, a computer viri cannot be without a non living collection of irrlivant parts put together by humans. Bio viri do not need us.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    How would you infect a pacemaker with a virus?

The only thing I could think of a way to transmit a virus into a person's pacemaker is by radio frequency or IR (hypothetically speaking, if it had a communications device)

But the thing has no hardrive, ram, bios or so.... what would it infect?

Palemoon, you say that a if the Virus is in a biological environment that it is in fact living right?
    So wouldn't the living pc (a few posts back) were to get infected, wouldn't it fall into your statement that it is alive?