Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Virus, is it a living thing?

One problem: Handicapped people? Are there handicapped virii?

Toddler can move. They crawl. They use their hands and knees. I don't believe computers do that...
    WARNING: Keyboard not attached. Press F10 to continue...

Yes, computers as machines do fit into the non-living category, just like cars, but when you mix that with programs (brains, as it were) and the proper "appendages", they come up to the border again: are they machines or (as tyger_claw put it) a very, very stupid toddler? As for viruses, yes, there are handicapped viruses, ones that have been copied wrong and can no longer function properly, or have been exposed to radiation, or "handicapped" by various other means.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Yes, kezil, your statement of handicapped virii is true, but once the virii are handicapped, what do they do? Nothing? They are "physically" dead. Oh, and virii don't walk of crawl, or even move without the help of another organism... (at least that's what I think...)

Banned
    like missing parts of the code...

someone wanted to compile it and spread "the love" before checking to ensure it was fully functioning!

Some computers can move on their own, look at that stupid toy dog, whatever it's called...
    It's programmed, Just like a toddler is. From birth to death....

So what you're saying Tyger, is that the computer or virii is only able to do what it is told to do. Can it learn though, like the toddler? Theoretically, it can. However, It cannot learn to the extent that the toddler can.
    The virii cannot "grow up" to rule nations, the virii cannot "grow up" to invent a something greater, brand new. The Virii CANNOT do ANYTHING by itself.
    Tell me, did the virii create itself? How did the virii come to be? Was it created by another organism?

Banned
    When was the last time a horse grew up to rule a nation, or invent itself a new stable?

I understand that the virii did not create itself, yet you can't tell me a clone will either?

And as for

Was it created by another organism?
    Well yeah, humans

When was the last time a horse grew up to rule a nation, or invent itself a new stable?
    Duh!? Haven't you seen "my magic pony"?

I understand that the virii did not create itself, yet you can't tell me a clone will either?
    I cannot say that a clone will, but I can say this. A human(the original) can. A virii(the original) cannot. I can say that not ALL living things in the Animal kingdom can invent things. however, None in the virii kingdom can.

sometimes the handicap causes the virus to mutate to another, new virus, to a deficient type, or a dead one (which still has potential elsewhere). As for movement, that is one of the reasons it's on the border between living and non-living, since it is as if it could be a permanently disabled (even in future generations) form of life in that regard.

little tidbit: Human DNA contains large amounts of methylized viral DNA fragments, some even whole I believe. The methylization of the fragments causes them not to be read. If something went wrong though, and they were demethylized, a person's own body could be the reason for their own viral death. The function of these pieces is unknown, though I suspect it is for inate immune recognition of many viruses, just like AV programs contain recognition sequences of computer viruses.

and another: the origin of viruses is unknown. They could have been another form of evolution from the basics (RNA floating around, not yet up to cells), could be the primitive form of all other forms of life, could even have come from life (a little mistake in duplication, just like a simple mistake in programming). They could even possibly have come through normal evolution, with something creating just the wrong sequence, and dying the first viral death because of it.

the origin of viruses is unknown. They could have been another form of evolution from the basics (RNA floating around, not yet up to cells), could be the primitive form of all other forms of life, could even have come from life (a little mistake in duplication, just like a simple mistake in programming). They could even possibly have come through normal evolution, with something creating just the wrong sequence, and dying the first viral death because of it.
    Sorry...I was talking about the PC Virus.

actually, I hadn't even read your post when I typed that (you wrote it after I started writing mine).

btw, I believe nothing in the fungi, plantae, monera, or protista kingdoms have invented anything, either, and yet they are still considered alive.