Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: PC Virus, is it a living thing?

Re: PC Virus, is it a living thing?

Originally posted here by tyger_claw
    I know most people will say no to this topic, but hear me out...

Single cell molecules are living right?
    Their only purpose is to eat (small "stuff"), and reproduce.....

Isn't that the same thing a PC Virii does?
    It eats away at our sensitive data and reproduces itself onto other data....

Viruses infect people's (and animals) bodies, mutating them....
    Well so does pc viriis. They infect a file or proggy and change settings and so...

Viruses are threated with medication...
    PC Virii are threated with antiviruses....

Viruses can permanetaly affect someone (ie: chicken pocks)...
    PC Viruses can permanetaly damage hardware....

So, would a PC Virii not fall into some sort of Living Categorie?
    Rediculous... PC virii are not single celled organisms...nor do they use living hosts, which virii need. interesting theroy but no. That's like saying PC is alive too, just because it needs energy to run.

Banned
    They have created a "living" pc...
    It was first created in 1999 and it was able to do simple math (basically a biological calculator)
    The first computer 20+ years ago was HUGE and all it did was simple math, now our computers fit inside our palms and are a zillion times stronger and more efficent.
    With the way computers have evolved, would you not believe that that biological calculator will become the next "Dell"

I would not confuse Bio function with Bio living, again these did not elvolve naturally withing a bio sphere, but a man made sphere. Unless it occurs naturally in nature it is artifical, fraticals teach this.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

An artifical heart provides bio function but is not living, a dialist machine filters blood but is not a kidney, an iron lung provides pressure and breath but is not a lung. Bio function cannot have life but can sustain it.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    What about cloning?

Cloning is cut and paste not matter how you look at it.

Banned
    It's still a living, biological thing...
    What would you call GE plantation? (Genetically Engineered)

Very interesting, but even in biology the defenition of a virus is a small, nonliving particle. So theoretically no it's not alive. It is interesting how they divide though... maybe thats just me though.

ofcourse they live if not how they spread out to the world??

Banned
    A single cell module as you stated does not live by ones order, not does a virus operate outside its creators specifications. Where is the comparision here?