Thread: Strangelets - very interesting

Question Strangelets - very interesting

Hello all, just thought I'd post this link to a story about these 'strangelets'. Have a read, it's very interesting. Here's a little snippet of the article:

They are only the size of a pollen grain but so dense they can rip through the planet and exit on the other side in seconds.
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...ines.worldnews

If anyone has any good info on this, apart from searches on www.google.com - cos I already have done that - post em up, I find it very, very interesting and would like to read more on this kind of stuff.

Cheers,
    Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Banned
    Wow, That is interesting.... And do people even notice these stranglets? Say if one was to land 5 feet away from me, would I know it?

Wow, That is interesting.... And do people even notice these stranglets? Say if one was to land 5 feet away from me, would I know it?
    Of course. Well, that's what they say. I mean they say that these 'strangelets' cause earthquakes, so I'm pretty sure if you stand 5 feet away, you'll know about it. But, you will probably just think it's an earthquake, not a little bit of matter weighing tonnes, the size of a sand-grain.

If it's true, it's amazing. Something sooo small, weighing sooo much, that it enters the earth on one side and comes out the other, all in 26 seconds they say. Hmmm...very interesting.

Imagine if one hit you...what would happen? Interesting...

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Erm, what kind of proof do they have for these "strangelets"? A couple of weird earthquakes do not make a proof, and it seems much more likely that these "entry" and "exit" points are simply new and undiscovered features of earthquakes, perhaps a sound wave interacting with the earth's core in a certain way.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

an 18 page pdf on the 2 quakes in question:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/ftp/astro-ph/pap...05/0205089.pdf
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm still not convinced, with 38,000 "unassociated events", having only 2 that form a line might just be coincidence. I suppose I'm just a skeptic at heart.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.