Thread: Apache and DSL

Banned

Apache and DSL

Whenever I set up my Apache DSL server with my Verizon DSL connection no one can view the pages, only I can see them on localhost... Is this a problem with my DSL or is it like this for everyone

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Perhaps your iSP blocks all known server ports on your side to make sure you do not run servers?

I don't know about Verizon, but my ISP (Chater Communications) blocks port 80. stflook runs a website using his connection, but has configured Apache to run on a different port (6348). He chose a Gnutella client port so that it didn't look like he was running one to Charter when they look. Try configuring Apache to run on a non-standard port instead.
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

Are you supposed to be running a webserver on your connection? Because if you aren't, they probably have blocked quite a few ports to make sure there isn't excess use of bandwith.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

excess use of bandwith is bullshit. the just don't want SOHOs running web sites and only paying home user prices. everyone has to be deprived so they can make a couple more bucks.

if you pay biz prices they dont care how much of the band width you use. well up to a point, then they charge you even more.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

well well

well earlyier today i posted something call verizon
    corrupted packet and i (mainly him , always give credit where its due) figured it out . that verizon has configured there routers at there end to block on all incoming ports like 80 21 and some others ones except ssh for some reason. i think its cause they need it . well if you call them and you ask it costs some good money to get a business dsl line . well if you find the httpd config file and like psycho said you just have to bind it to a port above 1024 cause everyonce in a while they do some portscans on certain computers that take alot of bandwidth up so you would want to hide it to a port that you mite use if you where a regualr user like if you dont use aim, bind it to an aim port got it good
    it cant rain every day

Banned
    Verizon DSL really sucks anyway, as with Bell South DSL.... i suggest do what i did, go to DSL reports.com and look for some good DSL ISPs in your area, i found a good small DSL provider called DSLi.com in southern florida, it works GREAT for me, i can run WHATEVER i want with my connection.

they are quick and have an extremely freindly staff

Some ISPs have started shipping new DSL routers with (*gasp*) all incoming traffic closed (so no one can originate a connection back in to your network). I praise them on this, personally... though your issue doesn't sound like a simple block, are you sure you're not running something else that's answering the connection and then dropping it? Blank pages are normally the signs of something like TCP wrappers (or similiar) or a proxy...

Also, you are on a routeable network, right? Not RFC1918 address space?
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"