Aim

Thread: Aim

Question Aim

today after messing around with AIM yes thats aol's instant messenger , i know some of you where praying that i wasnt referring to it but i was(lol)

like i was saying after messin around with it for a while i noticed that in the urls or links that you can send ppl you can send them some commands i dont really know the extent of the commands but who knows the keyboards the limit

well if you send them a link and make the urls to this=

aim:addbuddy?screenname=screenname&groupname=groupname

it would add your screen name or somebody elses and the groupname of your choice
    pretty neat isnt it?

now if you imagine this,
    after knowing this dont you think that if it where to be reversed like if you sent them a link to send you a link rite back of a certain file being it a passwd file or something else(bein that there a root user) wouldnt you consider that a certain rootable exploit? im not sure about the windows version but i know in linux you need a confirmation but i think in windows its automaticly if im not mistaken but ifs its not most ppl click on anything anyways i wanted to post this to make ppl understand that aim is a useless peice of crap used to take over your computer .... ok so what its not but it helps me sleep at nite when i think that and besides most hot chicks dont know what irc is so you gotta use aim
    it cant rain every day

AOL (and AOL-IM by extension) is just evil... that's all there is to it - and anyone with a clue doesn't think to question it.

(but to better address your idea, you're not quite on the mark, but you have the idea, yes... it, like IE, can likely be used to do some rather "strange" things - sometimes even without user assistance. Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to put any sort of "additional useful information" in this post...)
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

there was w00w00 that totaly sploited a hole in AIM that basicly gave complete access to the users computer fully to do whatever..... I never tried the sploit but after its release it took AOL more then 2 weeks to fix the problem and alot of my friends had fun with that script

--NetSyN
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

your url exploit will not work cause you can't use a string command to do that. there are only a few strings that it allows/work with aim. all of them consist iming someone with a specified message (but the have to click send) or adding people to their buddy list.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Another thing to remember... not everyone who uses AIM (as a free service provided by Netscape/AOL) is actually using their client to connect. A good portion of their problem(s) have routinely seemed to be because they offloaded the content filtering problems/aspects to their clients and not their server... if you don't use their client, you've effectively eliminated some of their content filtering.

Yet another reason why AOL seems like to try to strive to not let other clients "work" (but now that they have integrated AOL, AIM, ICQ and a few other things, there's a lot of code out there that they also don't want to break too badly by trying to change it too fast, etc).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"