DMCA petition

Thread: DMCA petition

DMCA petition

while browsing packetstorm i came accross a link to an online petition to repeal the DMCA.

having the bad habit of reading something before i sign it i see this paragraph all the way at the bottom:

"Finally, we view with disgust the arrest of Dmitry Sklyarov, who is charged with creating tools to read encrypted books. In the middle ages the pre-reform Catholic Church persecuted scholars who tried to translate the Latin bible into the common vernacular. Today encryption has replaced Latin as the tool of choice to stifle the right to read. The protestants who founded this nation, English bible in hand, would look upon the DMCA with the same disgust that they looked upon the evils of the medieval Catholic Church."

does any body think this kind of retoric is going to help the cause

http://www.petitiononline.com/nixdmca/
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    ...The protestants who founded this nation, English bible in hand, would look upon the DMCA with the same disgust that they looked upon the evils of the medieval Catholic Church...
    prosestants = decrypters
    translater = Dmitry Sklyarov
    pre-reform Catholic Church = dmca

is this figurative language being used to oppose others' religion.

Seems like a bit of foolishness added to the end of an otherwise pretty good idea to me.

To be specific, no, I don't think it's going to help their cause at all, which is the way most causes seem to go to me. I can go along with most of it, and then they add some REALLY freaky thing in that makes me very hesitant to go along with it.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Flash M0nkey
    why do peps have to ruin everything with some dumb comment?
    most common example:
    newbie with one nice green dot beside his name comes into general chit chat and asks....
    "Hi I've lost my hotmail password and I can't remember my secret question answer can you help get my password back?"
    or
    "I think my g/friend is cheating on me - how can I get into her email to check?"
    or
    "Someone has hacked my password how can i get it back?"
    suddenly newbie now has 2 red dots instead of his nice green one and alot of AO members are resting their fingertips in a basin of cold water after scorching them a lil with the flames shooting out towards the newbie.....

v_Ln

I signed the petition, despite the wonderful comment at the end. I find what the DCMA is doing is wrong and should be stopped by both COngress and The Supreme Court. If this issue goes to ballot in an upcoming election (hopefully when I am a registered voter), I will support its downfall. Down with the DCMA!

(Note: In my avatar there is the C and PERL versions of the CSS encryption breaker. If you have a program that can read it, you are free to it!)
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

I was reading through who signed the petition, and came across a few humorous replies to the question: Are you a registered voter?

Along with idiots, who just typed in any character in the required field. wtf.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

In the middle ages the pre-reform Catholic Church persecuted scholars who tried to translate the Latin bible into the common vernacular.

Actually, I find the argument to be quite elegant
    and rooted in sound history and philosophy.
    Content that is of real value should not be
    hidden. Encryption is for spies, traitors and tyrants.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

elegant it is, but not accurate. no one will be deprived of the content of these books, they are available for free at the public libary.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I am not a spy, I am not a traitor... a tyrant I could possibly be (of some sort), but not very likely at this current point and time.
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

your avatar crasher my steg app...but that ok wired.com has it for download.