Thread: turning off ftp window on a linux box

turning off ftp window on a linux box

I would like to turn off the window on my ftp downloads or set the window to a very large size. I have a linux box. Is anyone familiar with how to do this.
    thank you
    mike

could you be a little more specific?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Lets start with what disto and GUI your useing
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I am using the command line interface on redhat linux 6.1

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    ahhh, so you want to run ftp in the background....
    good luck.

if your press <alt>F2 or <alt> and any number, you will move to a different terminal display. So you can start your ftp download, then just switch to a different terminal and not have to wait on your file transfer.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Wink

I actually don't want to run ftp in the background. I just want to increase the window size of the tcp session so I don't have to wait so long for the acks. Hopefully this would increase the throughput of my ftp session.

mike

i think the window size depends on each computers ability to talk over the medium. Not always what you want it to be but what the two computers can handle.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

try the MaxMTU tweak. this involves changing your MTU, which depends upon what link you are using (dial-up or broadband?). i can't remember exactly how to do this on linux (on windoze you have to do a registry hack or use a program which will do that) but it may involve playing around with ifconfig commants. i'll hunt around for a link to it and post it here.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

maybe you can take a look at http://dast.nlanr.net/Features/Autobuf/
    On the page is said: The client is a modification of the NcFTP Client to enable Auto Tuning to calculate optimal window sizes preceeding file transfer.

good luck!

shr1k3