Thread: Perl/Perl interpreter problem/ WinOS

Question Perl/Perl interpreter problem/ WinOS

I am new to perl and am trying to get the interpreter up and running in on WinME OS. I bought a book and have looked at several websites that point me to www.activestate.com for a perl interpreter that will work in the windows environment.

The site says that i need 35 megs of space, i downloaded the file for WinME and it ran through the install in about 5 seconds, the setup file itself was on about 2 megs. I checked the install notes and it says that the install should set the paths for the interpreter, this did not happen.

I have a problem and i have yet to be able to run my first perl program. If anyone knows if i am downloading the wrong file, i would be greatful if you could point me in the right direction,

btw the file that i am downloading from the site is, Windows installer 2.0+.

Thanks...
    \"Drastic times call for drastic measures.\"

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    It looks like all you downloaded was the installer needed to install the rest of the program. Now that you have the installer go back to the site and download the actual program. I noticed though that this program does not allow an uninstall package. I would make sure you need this program first, because once its in its going to be a headache to get out. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the quick reply, the only other file that i have seen there to download for WinMe is the source code. When i downloaded the installer i assumed it would do like a browser upgrade and contact the site for the rest of the download.

Once again, sorry for my ignorance but i just dont know which file it is that i need.

Just a quick update, i am now downlaoding the perl dev kit, i am getting the free 21 day evaluation version.
    Does anyone know if it is still functional after the 21 days are up?

Well, last I visited ActiveState, there were two versions of the thing... one of them won't let you uninstall it (or rather, doesn't come with an uninstaller) -- it also says that you want the other one, unless it won't work (think it's the *.msi one).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

ah thanks for the replys, about 20 minutes after my last post i had successfully ran my first script. The funny thing is, is that i dont even know why i am learning this.
    To be honest i dont know much it, except that it is for the web. I just saw the book that was cheap and covered java script, CGI, and Perl and decided why not..