1 Mo Time

Thread: 1 Mo Time

1 Mo Time

It's me again.

Got a new warning this morning: "There are no spare stack pages. It may be necessary to increase the setting of "MinSP's" in SYSTEM.INI to prevent possible stack faults/
    There are currently 4SPs allocated."

I went to Run>msconfig>System.INI and edited the value to 6. Is this good enough or should I increase it? I thought there was a way to cascade config. but forgot how to do it.

One thing about puters is there is never a dull monent.

If I have to reformat this thing again, I will go to XP Home.
    [glowpurple]How do you play the other side of a CD?[/glowpurple]

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    LOL... oops... you got problems my friend.. I think I speak for the rest of us here when i say

Format c: /y

Better yet go with what neg says below.. heh

Banned
    From Microsofts Knowledge Base:

SYMPTOMS
    When you use a computer that is running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me), you may receive one of the following error message:

There are no spare stack pages. It may be necessary to increase the setting of 'MinSPs' in System.ini to prevent possible stack faults. There are currently nnn SPs allocated.
    Terminating thread due to stack overflow problem. A vxd consumed too much stack space. Increase setting of MinSPs in System.ini or remove recently installed vxd's. There are currently nnn SPs allocated. Hit any key to proceed.

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur when Windows encounters an internal overflow of the stacks that are used by 32-bit Windows-based device drivers. Please note that this is not related to the "Stacks=" line in the Config.sys file, which is used for 16-bit MS-DOS-based device drivers.

Stack overflow conditions are indicative of errors in the device driver. Device drivers are allocated 4 kilobytes (KB), or one page, of space to be used as a stack. If the device driver uses more than 4 KB of memory, a stack overflow condition occurs.

Windows sets aside a number of extra memory pages, or spare stack pages, to be used temporarily so that your computer does not stop responding (hang) due to a stack overflow condition. When the stack overflow condition has passed, Windows reclaims the temporary page. The default number of spare stack pages is two.

If Windows detects that it has run out of spare stack pages, you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article. Windows continues to operate correctly unless a device driver encounters a stack overflow condition when there are no free spare stack pages.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, add the following line to the [386Enh] section of the System.ini file, and then restart your computer:

MinSPs=4
    If the behavior continues to occur, increase the number of spare stack pages in increments of 4 (for example, 8, 12, 16).

NOTE : Each spare stack page requires 4 KB of memory.

To edit the System.ini file for Windows 95, 98 and 98se:
    Click Start , click Run , type sysedit in the Open box, and then click OK .

Click System.ini on the Window menu.

In the [386Enh] section, type the following line:

MinSPs=4
    On the File menu, click Exit , and then click Yes to save the changes.

Restart your computer.

There you go...

Noticing that you've posted "strange" questions like this a couple of times... have you, perhaps, considered using a virus scanner? Not to be a smart ass or anything, but... certainly would seem there may be a lot more "wrong" with your machine than meets the eye.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Ick... nice find, Neg... so is XP just that b0rken? I've not subjected myself to the beta test yet...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Thank you much Negative

I will go and change it to 8. I had changed it to 4 about 1 year ago but had forgot how I did it.

You are very helpful.
    [glowpurple]How do you play the other side of a CD?[/glowpurple]