Thread: Ethical Dilemma

Ethical Dilemma

Pretend you just graduated with a B.S. in MIS, and you are going to grad school for a master's in MIS. You realize Microsoft make terrible products. You ALSO realize that 99 out of 100 business use M$.

The dilemma: Do you install M$'s latest & greatest (term used VERY loosely) OS and learn it inside & out, since that's what you'll most likely be dealing with in the future, or do you set up a dual boot with some flavor of Linux (suggestions)? Or would dual booting M$ and Linux create some sort of warp in space-time? I have ran RH 7.1 and Mandrake in the past, but it seems like I always have to have some M$ OS to do school projects (like Access )

a dual boot works fine
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

i think it depends on what your server is going to be doing, dual boot would be a good idea, but learn *nix inside and out. Im sure if u do that, all problems u encouter with M$ products will be realtively simple.

"The fact is, I rarely encounter a technical problen that i'm not able to handel without seeking aid. Most of my tasts are not even close to the limits of my own ability..."
    --Kevin Polson

I know he is a "glorfied script kiddie," but i like that quote alot!

Ninja Code Monkey
    Install and learn both.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I just seen an Ad on T.V that has a basketball team playing.
    I think the team is IBM..
    The ad goes..There is a new player in town..His name is LINUX!!
    You have to get to know him well too..

Learn EVERY SINGLE OS u can.... coz it helps A LOT..

Banned
    listen, your 100% right, most businesses use MS.... but u should learn Linux or *nix all together so that when YOU work for a big company you can compair their MS server to your Linux server and show them why it would be better to run their Server w. Linux and their workstations as windows(for ease of use for dumbass end users)

i say either go for the dual boot..... or get VMWare and run windows off of linux (i just dropped winodws all together and was "forced" to learn linux that way, but it seems that u need linux for school and school is important)

but definately learn *nix, i suggest again start off w. RedHat, but REALLY work with it, dont just use it.... install/uninstall programs, run services, upgrade kernal, mess with security, try to PROTECT it as much as possible.... do things that will get you somewhere dont just be like "i use linux" and basically all u know is the ls command and the rest is point and click, show something, use linux for a reason....

Originally posted by Dome
    .... do things that will get you somewhere dont just be like "i use linux" and basically all u know is the ls command and the rest is point and click, show something, use linux for a reason....
    lol. I know ls, man, who, finger, grep... I got an "A" in the 1 hour Unix class I had to take this last semester. Just a little humor

Seriously, I'll probably get the new RH once I get on the T-1 in a little over a week...

Banned
    There ya go thats the spirit hehe.... welll good luck with your linux/*nix quest, lol.... but stay in it with MS as well cus i really dont see your average fat slob end user that works at some car dealership using linux, lol, they are all windows dummies, u need to build them an efficiant server but still know how to trouble shoot their windows workstations