Thread: The Ultimate Windows Fix...

Banned

The Ultimate Windows Fix...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...s/mbsahome.asp

As part of Microsoft's Strategic Technology Protection Program, and in response to direct customer need for a streamlined method of identifying common security misconfigurations, Microsoft has developed the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA). Version 1.0 of MBSA includes a graphical and command line interface that can perform local or remote scans of Windows systems. MBSA runs on Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems and will scan for missing hotfixes and vulnerabilities in the following products: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Internet Information Server (IIS) 4.0 and 5.0, SQL Server 7.0 and 2000, Internet Explorer (IE) 5.01 and later, and Office 2000 and 2002. MBSA creates and stores individual XML security reports for each computer scanned and will display the reports in the graphical user interface in HTML.
    I downloaded this little program and found that I had a few gaping holes in my system... Finally, Something useful from M$

I think my boss showed that to me last week. It is pretty cool. Though I wonder how often they update it.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

str34m3r
    Silly me - I always thought the ultimate Windows fix was a RedHat or a Mandrake CD.

Banned
    That too

the ultimate windows fix is not to use it - but if you must just remember to get a vault that is 6ft thick made of stainless steel and have at least 30 ppl gaurding it with m16's at all times

or

SuSE linux
    it cant rain every day

FreeBSD is the ultimate fix. As for this lil' thingy, I run 98SE so it's not much help. Rest assured your find did not go unused, at work we use win2k and the rest ofthe crap M$ puts out so I'll use it there. Thanks
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

str34m3r
    Like KorpDeath, I guess I'll have to own up to the fact that I have to use this software on one of my computers at work as well. It's very useful if you have to have a Windows machine. Good find.

ha.. it probably comes with spyware built in.. nevertheless.. good post

Originally posted here by str34m3r
    Silly me - I always thought the ultimate Windows fix was a RedHat or a Mandrake CD.
    Ditto...... It worked for me, now I'm Windows free.

Tux rules.........
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.