General Newbie Linux Help

Thread: General Newbie Linux Help

Angry General Newbie Linux Help

After setting up Apache on my system and realizing just how insecure the world is(espseically with its self) i realized that ive been messin with linux for some time and i really dont know anything about it . i mean i can do some simple programing and i know some things, mainly stupid things( some times called upon though). but what my main question is where can i really can i find information about securing my site because in my opion is to be a good system admin. you have to be a good "hacker", in that means what i mean is to find holes, bugs and what not. and i was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction or if they wanted to teach or maybe even show me a few things. im not asking for much im just asking for someone to point me to the direction of the door and allow me to open it. thanks .
    it cant rain every day

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    check out www.linuxdocs.org Also check out ip tables.. If you need any other help be sure to ask specific questions on what you need. Good luck..

thanks ,

im looking for information about security like things on how to break into my own site to improve its security things like that
    plus some good programing links would be great and something more indepth on linux commads like the odd ones that i dont know cause ive gotten alot of books and lot of them dont really talk about what i wanna learn like corrupted packet taught me this one lsof|grep TCP|grep LISTEN i didnt know what the hell that was but sure enough it showed me what services where listening and what daemons where running but any help in any department would be great

thanks again
    it cant rain every day

This is great link to get you started http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/. Now read and read some more. Also, google is your friend. There is no one-stop-get-everything-you-to-become-a-leet-hacker shop. You have to dig for information, try things out and ask intelligent questions. But you have to work hard at it like anything else. Good luck.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Banned
    i suggest with most linux you can just do an nmap localhost to see what ports are open, anything suspicious? well close it! hehe, close EVERYTHING you done use, and please god forbid dont use ftp or telnet, they send plaintext passwords and if someone sniffs your server they WILL get your passwords very easily, might as well leave a key under the door mat and a note on the door saying its there...... make sure to do as many updates as possible (software as well as general OS updates) look for all your services and search google for hacks you can test out on them, if the hack works you gotta find a way to prevent it......

i know im probably not telling you anything that you dont already know but the main thing about nit is LEARN your spacific OS and LEARN your spacific servivces(including exact versions) you can secure a RedHat box runnin apache webserver to virtualy unhackable if you take your time and study the software.

Banned

Re: General Newbie Linux Help

Originally posted here by darktower187
    After setting up Apache on my system and realizing just how insecure the world is(espseically with its self) i realized that ive been messin with linux for some time and i really dont know anything about it . i mean i can do some simple programing and i know some things, mainly stupid things( some times called upon though). but what my main question is where can i really can i find information about securing my site because in my opion is to be a good system admin. you have to be a good "hacker", in that means what i mean is to find holes, bugs and what not. and i was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction or if they wanted to teach or maybe even show me a few things. im not asking for much im just asking for someone to point me to the direction of the door and allow me to open it. thanks .
    Awesome Link and a great point... Thanks!

Hello pal...

Did i hear linux , then linuxquestions.org is a good place.Good Luck.

Subscribe to some good mailing lists, for example;if you use SuSE, you can use their security list. They will keep you up to date with the latest exploits.

i wanted to thank anyone who replied to my post
    it cant rain every day