Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: password protect files?

password protect files?

Is it possible to password protect files using Windows ME? I need to protect a couple of files that are looked at by other nosy people that use my computer. I do not want to create another user because it takes up too much space and I only need to protect about five files. If it is possible, how can I do it?

You can't using WinME by itself. However, many third party apps will do that for you...
    Do a search on google or tucows (www.tucows.com). Might want to check out PGP too (strong encryption for files, e-mails, pretty much anything...)

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Originally posted here by ammo
    You can't using WinME by itself. However, many third party apps will do that for you...
    Do a search on google or tucows (www.tucows.com). Might want to check out PGP too (strong encryption for files, e-mails, pretty much anything...)

Ammo
    yes, one of the best encryption software packadges out there is PGP (my openion only), they offer a shareware verson of their software at http://www.pgp.com/support/technical...rt/default.asp

if its only to protect against some snoppy peps why not just use winZIP?? nearly everyone has it (or soemthing like it) already on their computers and it offers the option of adding a password to an archive
    the passwords can be cracked but if its nothing you need kept really secure it should do the job

v_Ln

Get FolderGuard here
    Without over-selling it, it is possibly the best piece of software, in the universe!

I would recommend Scramdisk. (It has since been discontinued, in favor of a not-free thing called DriveCrypt, but I find it still pretty good).

Scramdisk basically sets up a filesystem WITHIN a file, which can then be encrypted in various ways. You can use the scramdisk utility to mount the file as a mapped drive, (Like drive X: or something) and it will encrypt/decrypt semi-on-the-fly. You can also have multiple files open.

Also you can use passphrases, hotkeys for dismounting, etc.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

No it doesn't have to be big time security (because the people don't know anything about password cracking). I do not have much money right now so does anyone know of a free program like PGP that I can download? Isn't WinZip an extracting (unzipping) program? Are the programs like PGP that will allow me to password protect my files called encryption programs because I think encryption programs are available here (AntiOnline) for download free in the Security Downloads section.

Winzip is a file compression tool.....but it gives you the option of password protecting your archives so in order to decompress them you have to enter the correct pass....
    So all you would have to do is compress the files you want locked away - then delete the originals...there now no-one can decompress them/read them without the pass

v_Ln

Is it hard to access these files once they are compressed though? I dunno much about compressing. I can probably download WinZip off of www.microsoft.com downloads section.

u just double click the file - enter the password and select where you want it to unzip to....couldn't be easier

v_Ln