Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e-mail scanners?

e-mail scanners?

Is there an e-mail scanner that you can attach to your e-mail account that scans all incoming and outgoing e-mails? or is there just a program that you can stick your e-mail address in and it will scan all incoming and outgoing e-mails from there? I'm new to mail scanners.

Pretty sure most virus scanners already do this??

yeah, most comercial e-mail progs have a built in feature to scan all atachments when you download them. If you have a decent comercial viurs scanner that is updated, if *should* detech any virus actvity on your computer.

AntiOnline Newbie
    In using some of the antivirus programs, part of the trick of getting them to do what you want them to do is to configure them correctly. You need to carefully go through the options and check if you want email scanning on or not. I know that Norton Antivirus is that way.

As I recall from your previous posts, you have a McAfee product. I haven't used theirs in about two years, so am not sure how their current products work. But if you take some time and read the instructions for the program, I'll bet you can configure it the way you want. Should there be some additional options in it that you don't understand, I'm sure someone here will be able to help, as long as you have tried figuring it out by reading through McAfee instructions first.

Ya I know most of them do it. McAfee does, Norton does, Command does. I dunno if they do it on default settings though but I will check my manual. But I have heard alot about e-mail scanners. If you can get a program like McAfee that scans e-mails, and protects your whole computer, why wouldn't you get it instead of a program that only scans e-mails? there must be something that e-mail scanners can catch that antivirus programs can't. is there?

HeyRyan:

Are you looking for a sort of stand-alone Sandbox that works in conjunction with your copy of McAfee ?

Just no one email him a copy of Sub7.

*chuckle*

Sorry... had to say it...

But yes... most virus scanners have plugins or middleware for PC clients. Some of the enterprise level stuff will attach to MS Exchange, Sendmail or Postfix or something simliar (though I think most UN*X people will contend that it really kills the relay - then again, we're used to fast, unencumbered relays rather than huge pieces of bloatware)
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Yes there are products called firewalls that one can block certian file attachments like a dot ext, dot scr, dot what ever depends on what files you wish to be allowed through the firewall and thoseyou do allow then the virus scanners do their thing. Hope that helps
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I used Norton System Works which includes their antivirus protection before I installed Linux. It scans incoming and outgoing e-mail, and I don't remember having to configure it to do that. By the way, guess what virus scanner I use with Linux? None!!!!!!!! Muhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

HeyRyan:
    Here is a link to an article that might interest you:

Sandbox Info

Enjoy.