Running server on P4

Thread: Running server on P4

Running server on P4

I should be receiving my P4 1.7GHz server this week and well i wasnt sure what OS to run on it.... my current server is RedHat Linux, i dont know if ni should stay with Linux(which i am very comfterable with) or go to BSD or any other *nix OS at that...... im not concerned about security AT ALL, just about speed, what cna i get the most power out of???? i mean Linux runs pretty damn fast right now, but would it make a difference if i run BSD??? im thinking about just creating a linux from scratch that will fit me exactly....

please suggestions will help, BTW this will be a webserver running apache/BIND(DNS)/MySQL/SSH/Mail(maybe)

TurboLinux has a good server distro. I have had some play with it and it seemed worthy. Just my $.02 worth. So far most of my server knowledge is with MS products. I have ran Apache on *nix before. But not a full fledged server. The reason I'm even saying anything is that my cousin works for Digital and thats what they use and he loves it.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Dome, if you're going to do a linux from scratch style of server setup, you may wish to look in depth at slackware if you haven't already. Quite a lot of the packages I would use for a server are already there as part of the install. ProFTPd for instance. It has a great security track record. I believe that of the Distributions, Slack has had the fewest vulnerabilities in its default package set since inception (something like 1 or 2).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Flint, MI
    Slakware kicks butt. If takes some work, but it is very customizable.

Either that or FreeBSD. Redhat is all well and good, but once you know linux, I would always suggest slackware.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Or get OpenBSD, wich is quite secure, altough you could have hours of discussions BSD can run some applications faster then Linux.

Why don't you just use Windows 2000 advanced server, it will beat the shiznit off any linux one. Because Linux is a beshiznit motofreaking orporata stsyam. LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Everyone knows that FreeBSD is the fastest thing you can run on x86.