Gonna try Linux again...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonna try Linux again...

Gonna try Linux again...

Due to my bad luck in the past with ISO's, I will be buying Linux. I have narrowed it down to Mandrake or Red Hat, since I am a (relative) newbie.

Mandrake Pro's: Comes with Star Office 6.0, $37.99 locally,
    Con's: Dunno.

RH Pro's: ???
    Con's: $60 locally, no Star Office

So which would you pick?

I have mandrake 8.1 and I found it quite easy to install and use...the whole process is very user friendly but you can still customize it however you like.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Thumbs up

I have red hat, so I'm partial, but I'm also sure
    that you will have a good experience with
    either one.
    You get lots of extras when you buy a boxed
    distribution. It's probably the only really
    good way for a newbie, unless you are
    already technically adept at another OS
    and persistent.
    My red hat 7.2 came with 6 CDs, lots of cool stuff!
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Due to my bad luck in the past with ISO's, I will be buying Linux. I have narrowed it down to Mandrake or Red Hat, since I am a (relative) newbie.
    Bad luck? Maybe the people at AO can help you out with that. If you're paying for a Linux CD, you're really missing the point of Linux. It's free. Wouldn't you rather figure out the answer to the problem which means you save money and get a sense of self satisfaction?

If you're having trouble just getting hold of the distro, your troubles haven't even started yet. There will be a lot more challenging problems to contend with. Do yourself a favour and try to figure it out before you buy an official copy of Linux.

If you *really* must buy it, you can get it cheaper than the prices you specified. You can get cheap Linux CD's here.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

I've used them both, but if I were you I'd just go buy a book and get one of the cds that'll install the OS with the book for a better deal. I usually just do that if I don't have the time to download the ISOs or anything, plus that's how I found one of my favorite *nix OSs, the Caldera OpenLinux 2.3.

I'm a big RedHat fan...Although people tell me that RH 7.1 has a buggy Kernel, I'm yet to have a problem with it. I finally got the install right and it works perfectly.

If you're going to install RH all I can suggest is that you write down your monitor specs before you start. It'll save you alot of trouble!

Enigma has been running my tarpit for over 3 months with no issues.

And big deal if Mandrake comes with Star Office, it's free. What kind of trouble have you had with ISO's. They work perfectly for me every time. The most common mistake is when people go to burn ISO's they just burn the .iso file to the CD-R. What you have to do is create a CD from an image. And point your burner software to that file.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

KorpDeath: Actually, I heard StarOffice isn't free anymore. I think this was effective like two months ago, if I remember correctly. I heard someone say it on AO-IRC just a while back when we had a discussion one morning. Either way, it shouldn't matter like I said earlier which one you get. Just do the book thing I recommended if you want a good deal and all.

Hi,
    If you want Mandrake 8.2 you can get it at www.spidertools.com for $8.95 for a three cd set. They also have Red Hat 7.2 and 7.3 but they don't use the name because of trademake purposes or something like that. I use Mandrake 8.2 and I bought mine from the Mandrake company. I got the PowerPack edition that comes with 7 cds and two manuals for $69.00. I think the 8.95 three cd set from spidertools sounds good, but I'm not sure what comes with it. You might want to check out the site and maybe e-mail them and find out the details.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

My deal with ISO's is that every time I d/l one and burn it, I always get an error when trying to install. For some reason, at different files during the install, it will be unable to read the files. I coastered many discs downloading and burning. Red Hat, Madrake, Slackware ( I know it's not for newbies, but hey, it was only 1 CD) all have errors every time. The one time I bought a book that had RH 6.something, it worked fine. Maybe my old burner sucked?

Anyway, next week I will be moving to a townhouse that shares a T-1 with the adjoining apt. complex. I can d/l every distro that I can find, especially since they offered me the admin job!!! So I'll just wait until then and buy a spindle of 50 CD's and have fun. How does that sound?

[edit] StarOffice 6.0 is like $70; but I think you can still download 5.2?? for free. They also have that OpenOffice, but I haven't heard much about it.