BlackIce defender??????

Thread: BlackIce defender??????

BlackIce defender??????

Question all???????? What Is the draw back on Black ice defender??????? I was going through posts and saw .Stay away from it.... My brother just installed a copy and I would really like know what is wrong with it? Any Help?
    [glowpurple]The Nutta [/glowpurple]

Banned
    The only problem I had with it is that it would crash on me, mid way surfing, leaving me open....

That, and I can't regulate what proggy's access the net

Nutta,

Prob i found was it wouldnt let you know what was going out.....so if you've been got...its not going to let you know
    mind you, they could have changed the interface since i last used it.

Who Cares Wins

It's a POS
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

While you can take a lot of what gibson has to say with a cow lick of salt...

Eleven Months after the release of our first, simple, but effective and popular (2,803,787 downloads) LeakTest firewall testing utility, BlackICE Defender (BID) continues to "leak" as defined by LeakTest. But a recent update to BID (version 2.9cai) was hiding this fact from its users by effectively cheating the LeakTest.

Rather than enhancing BlackICE Defender by adding the sort of application-level controls that are available even from many completely free personal firewalls, BID's publisher, NetworkICE, apparently chose to prevent LeakTest's intended operation by adding specific awareness to BID of LeakTest's remote testing IP.
    http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

you can dl leaktest and try it for yourself....imho...any company that tries to hide a flaw rather than fix...well...they deserve all the bad reviews we can provide...

and besides....tiny is better...and free
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

The simple fact of the matter is that it crashes open. you never want your security to fail to an open state. That'd really ruin your day. This product was first an IDS and second a firewall, that's a bad combo IMHO.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned
    The only thing I found that was somewhat good about the whole firewall was that you could get alot of information from the "intruder" (some times).

It's functions like IP Locator and Whois is worthless since we have these toys here at AO!

Tyger
    Use Sam Spade or similar if you want to have good dig around at any 'naughty' people.
    Who Cares Wins

Holy sheep sh#t .....I leaked. This really sucks ...we just bought the program to. Now another question for you all... Is there a patch or anything that can help correct this problem?? Thanxs to you all who made a reply.
    [glowpurple]The Nutta [/glowpurple]