Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Different password lenths

Add in a little alt + 255 at the end if you can.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Sh4d0wX, you might consider exporting your favorites to the same floopy your passwords are on, then you could just import them when your going to spend some time on the computer or work right off the floppy
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

For the root password on my Linux box I'm using a person's name. I'm using the first, middle, and last names. I know using names is generally not a good idea, but none of the three names are that common, especially the last name. This has the advantage of being easy to remember. Also, since they are personal names, they won't appear in a dictionary and be susceptible to dictionary cracking attacks. So, my password ends up being 16 characters, but it's really easy to remember and I think, hard to crack.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

For security items I use complex passwords for the forums here I use a password I can remember . I have a good memory just damn short!

for my passwords i tend to use out-dated data...like my HS Student ID(i graduated HS over 2 years ago, so nobody should be able to get that), along with other things that mix upper and lower case letters. the one thing that i have never really been able to incorporate into my passwords successfully(READ: so i could remember them) is symbols and special chars. i figure mine are relitivaly safe and what do i really have to protect with most of my PW's...i mean they're all like forum login passwords and such...who's gonna go through the trouble of cracking those and why?
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

I thought I was carefull with my pass.....untill I saw Sh4d0wX's post. LOL what paranoid thoughts on the guy. By Making it so difficult you are kicking yourself in the ass. Unless you cause alot of trouble you are not in any serious danger. There are alot of ways to keep your info safe from your Brother and the outside world. But hey if your method works....do it....
    [glowpurple]The Nutta [/glowpurple]

Ninja Code Monkey
    The Jingle bells password may be easier to break due to the repeating sequences of characters.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Originally posted here by cwk9
    Add in a little alt + 255 at the end if you can.
    True... It helps confuse crackers using l0phtcrack (for say, others might do the same thing) since their gui won't show the alt-255 char!

Ammo

Juridian: That is the thing with passwords. You don't initially know if there are any repeating sequencies, etc. For all you know, their password could be a single letter, or it could be the limit. Unless you really know the person, you will have little clue what their pass is. Even if you do, it is still difficult, even if you see what they type (unless you have good eyes). If it was encrypted, and a person had the encrypted file, they might notice repetitions, but if it is a secure network (such as AO), then they never get access to the password file, and thus never know anything about their password...

-Tim_axe

Banned
    Greetings All:

Well, this "problem" has been fixed.

Talk about being anal..................

thead closed.