Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: people giving too much info in public?

people giving too much info in public?

I never before truly realized how much information people just blurt out without considering the people that may be listening.
    Today I was standing in line at a bank (a line that hadn't actually moved in at least 5 minutes), when the branch manager came in.
    The manager rounded up about 4 employees then....right next to the line of people waiting, told them the fax system had a few changes that they needed to note....the fax number is still (insert #) but the code (insert code) is now only a default code, it will still work but not give complete access on certain systems. To easier access the system and have full axxcess use the new code (insert new code)
    Then...he briefly recapped what he'd said, stating loudly and slowly each phone # and code involved.
    Seems to me that was perhaps a bit of a security risk.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

AntiOnline Newbie
    Takes the fun out of social engineering... They could at least make it a little more challenging.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Yeah that definetly could be a security risk. Most days now fax machines are actually faxmodems recieveing the information and forwarding the info thru outlook. If this is so, that fax number will be the first step to accessing the bank.

str34m3r
    The real question is - Are you still using that bank even after seeing their security practices?

It is rather pitiful. To bad we couldn't have one day, where everyone's privacy was out in the open, to let people know the real dangers. Perhaps that would help.

Probably not. People would say, "hell i'll give up any security/privacy just so I can be lazy".
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

lol@ str34m3r-I don't actually use the bank, I simply cash my paychecks there.
    I was really tempted to walk up to the group recite the numbers I had just heard (not hard ones to remember by the way, although I have forgotten them now) and point out the mistake he had made...I'm guessing that wouldn't have been appreciated though.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Banned
    lol was on a phreaking board and someguy came in and said he cant figure out how to change the defualt password on his new pabx with company name and model number i want to wonder how many free calls were made at their expense
    RiOtEr

I was at a nerd fair (read: PC market) a while ago. RiOtEr, you've probably been to the same one. It's at Sutherland every 3rd Saturday...anyway, back to the topic...As I was saying, I was at a nerd fair minding my own business when I saw this fellow geek. On the back of this geeks t-shirt were the words "ONLY THE PARANOID SURVIVE"...It hit me like a bolt of lightning!

Four simple words that I try and live by. If you just assume that EVERYONE is out to hack you than you can't go wrong. If that Bank Manager had the same security paranoia than those numbers would never had been read out publicly...

Banned
    Conf1rm3d_K1ll hehe i have been to that i luv it cheep hardware hehe
    but that saying is so true i mean if your not paranoied about everything then you will be socially engineered rather eaisly i mean metnik wouldnt have served time if people were paranoyed
    RiOtEr
    p.s like my new avatar

I say never trust bankers, they are dumb, dumb, dumb
    I hide my cash under my matress Try to track cash paiements hehehe
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]