Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password Cracker

Question Password Cracker

Does anyone know of a password cracker, that runs on windows, and cracks Unix/Linux password files?

The reason why, is because, I would like to see how secure my password is for my website. If there isn't one that does that. How can I make a password on windows, and use a windows password cracker, to audit it?
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

I think somewhere in the MISC forum was a post for a web based cracking utility that allowed you to enter the MS hash of your password.

Edit: here it is

http://www.sec33.com/modules.php?name=IPC

As far as I would imagine, password complexity is just that...and not dependent upon operating system.

Otherwise, L0phtCrack does have a trial version that does everything but brute force. I assume your password is at least going to pass the dictionary and dictionary+numbers attack that the trial does.

Banned
    search google or astalavista.com

I imagine that a password cracker could be on windows against linux/unix or you could run it on unix against your localhost. I don't use many of these tools. I imagine a brute force attack could eventually gain access (assuming the account does not get locked after x failed attempts).

Cheers,

Duncan
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Try John the Ripper @ http://www.openwall.com/john/. It has *nix/win/dos versions and is considered to be one of the best password crackers around. There was an article on it today from Linux Security called "Psst... I know your password".

I think somewhere in the MISC forum was a post for a web based cracking utility that allowed you to enter the MS hash of your password.

Edit: here it is

http://www.sec33.com/modules.php?name=IPC

As far as I would imagine, password complexity is just that...and not dependent upon operating system.

Otherwise, L0phtCrack does have a trial version that does everything but brute force. I assume your password is at least going to pass the dictionary and dictionary+numbers attack that the trial does.
    This is an NT password cracker and I cannot speculate on its efficiency since the source code has not been released. I remember there were some doubts about this when the link to this was first posted at AO.

OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

JohntheRipper just get a a couple good word lists first
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

John The Ripper kicks butt!

John The Ripper is pretty cool with a huge dictionnary.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Banned
    I use L0PHT crack. Its pretty good but is kind of slow, if you look around you can get a copy for free. Search google or another search engine for the link to the site.

Go here:
    http://www.evadenet.com/downloads/lophtcrack.shtml

A direct d/l for lophtcrack.

PS... Dooh! Nevermind. I had my head up my a*$ and did'nt pay attention to the question. Lophtcrack runs on Win32 or Unix/Linux. But it's used to hit Password Dumps and SAMS on Win32 platforms. You want to nail a *nix box from win. I can't read tonight. Somebody slap me before I post again...................
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.