Another Good Reason To Run Tux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Good Reason To Run Tux

Another Good Reason To Run Tux

I've saw some people fall for this one. I recieved this in myemail today. Some idiot sent me what supposed to be a W32.Klez.E removal tool from symantec, which in reality is the virii itself. Jokes on them though. I have Linux so no infection. Ha.. Ha.. on them.

Have a look at the work of a n00b 5kr1pt kiDDi3..........
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Banned
    Why dont people just use Eudora or Postie etc? They will never learn...

That is within the Virus, P2P.

The W32.Klez.E virus has pretty good camo features in it's code. Actually if I was you I would have a close look at the email header, I am pretty sure it doesn't even come from the person listed as sender. I have had many variants of that email sent to me and most of the time it was never from the "sender" in the email.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Originally posted here by Scorp666
    Actually if I was you I would have a close look at the email header, I am pretty sure it doesn't even come from the person listed as sender.
    That was actualy one of the first things I did. It came though two relays and originated at Shaw Cable in Canada.......... Some poor infected Win32 user is sending it out to all their buddies in their email addy book.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!

Banned
    Kiddies never learn. Point Blank!

Here's a quote from VirusList-

Kaspersky Labs warns computer users about a distribution by an unknown malicious person of the Trojan program "TrojanDownloader.Win32.Smokedown", which is hidden under the guise of a cure for the Klez Internet-worm.

You can read the full write up here.

Banned
    Intresting... Thats sad how some people might send you a "tool" to get rid of the virus and it will actually be the virus. That can't be good because people might not trust emails with software to kill a virus.

Originally posted here by JRoc
    Intresting... Thats sad how some people might send you a "tool" to get rid of the virus and it will actually be the virus. That can't be good because people might not trust emails with software to kill a virus.
    No one should ever trust a "virus removal tool" they get through e-mail. No reputable company distributes their products through e-mail.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Yeah, I can see why tux can be very useful. I am very happy with the new distro I got Mandrake-Linux , and makes a very nice transition from Windows to a Unix-like enviroment. Granted I still have a lot to learn, but is very nice not to have to worry about buying anti-virus, which seems to plague only Windows platforms.

Question though, I hear Linux is suseptible to "root kits." Are root kits the same as a trojan, and if so, are they launched as often as trojans and how do you protect yourself from such things? I have only seen bits and pieces here and there at best.

BTW, {PP}Apocalypse, your desktop theme looks really cool. Where did you get it?

Originally posted here by alittlebitnumb
    BTW, {PP}Apocalypse, your desktop theme looks really cool. Where did you get it?
    http://www.kde-look.org

It's a compiltation of parts from several different themes. To run the icon theme I have though. You'll have to update your KDE package to 3.0.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!