Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing MAC Address

Changing MAC Address

Hi,

How do I change my LAN cards - MAC address with Win 98/ME ?

I know how to do in Windows NT 4.0/2000 but I was looking how to do it in Win 98/Me.

Bye.

Cool SUggestions

It would surely be useful to include more info on your LAN card so we could come up with a dedicated solution... Can you also tell us how you do it in the OS you used? That way someone could probably find a quick fix...

I did a search on google and procedure is different for different adapters so a brand or model would be useful...
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Never done it in Win9x, so I am not sure. It would be best to check the homepage of the company that makes your card, and if they don't have anything, search google.

It would also be helpful if, like Scorp said, you give us more information. Is your nic a 3com, intell, dlink, cisco, ???????
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

ok.. this is confusing me.. for what i know MAC ADDRESSES are burnt on your card and cant be changed.. for one main reason, to avoid confusion over the network.
    but to my surprise i just heard on IRC (while i was kicking some lammer arse) that MAC Addresses can be changed thru a software.. now, i know MAC addresses can be changed but only if u replace the chip set of your NIC card or your Modem. but tru a software??

Anthrax: Is it actually possible to change mac addy ???
    i though it was imprinited in the card and impossible to change
    i mean nothings impossible but yeh
    Lestat: hmm.. i thought thesame
    Lestat: all i know is ur MAC address is burned on your card.. for one main reason.. to avoid confusion amongst computers on the network
    Lestat: having the MAC ADDRESS changable is just plain stupid.. who ever came up with it must have a donkey for a mum
    Anthrax: Yeh
    NOTE: Anthrax isnt the lammer i was talking about.. thats a different story.

That was my thought. MAC addresses are unique and burned onto the NIC card. I am unaware of any way to change the MAC address of a NIC card. If you are experiencing a problem with conflicting MAC addresses, it's because certain companies have ran out of address and are recycling old addresses of NIC cards that should have gone the way of the dodo. If you have a duplicate, throw away the old card and get a new one.

If there's another reason that one would wish to change the MAC address, I'd love to know it. And if there is software that can change the MAC address, I'd be curious to see this in action myself.
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

Actually there are many good reasons to change your MAC address. For an enterprise environment it's pretty important, too bad you can't do it with Winblows. Solaris (some other flavors of Unix also) gives you the capability to do so if you choose. So upgrade your hardware to Sun and switch operating systems and you're all set......
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Theres a couple of ways....since i dont use windows i cant help yah there, but if you get a nic with eeprom you can re-program the mac address, or put linux on and use ifconfig
    I toor\'d YOU!

Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Hi,

Some network cards have the ability to change the MAC address through software. If your card and driver support this feature, you can change the MAC address under Windows 2000 by doing the following:

• Use Control Panel and double-click Network and Dial-up Connections or Start/Settings/Network and Dial-up Connections.

• Right-click the connection that uses the network card and press Properties.

• Press the Configure button.

• Select the Advanced tab.

• Select Locally Administered Address.

• Enter the new MAC address value.

If "Locally Administered Address" isn't available as an option, your network adapter card or driver doesn't support MAC address alteration.

Can it be done in Win 9x ?

Some companies even - offers an ethernet NIC that allows a user to change the card's physical mac (node) address.

Check this out :

http://www.sd330.com/

Bye.

Pretty cool na !