DDoS IRC FBI $$$$
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDoS IRC FBI $$$$

DDoS IRC FBI $$$$

Ive read that DoS will only be considered illegal for the FBI if it was over 30,000 $ (US) in damages or losses due to the attack...

Ive read on GRC.com that cause of the attackers age and the amount of small damage the FBI didnt care

at this point in time what would the damages have to be at for the FBI to look into it?

with 9-11 and all i figure it will be high
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Umm, anything over $5000 is FBI jurisdiction. They will look into anything over $5k, and keep it for records. So if you hit 3 or 4 sites at 5K a piece, they will see the comparisons and then start an investigation.

The damage done to GRC.com was probably $500 because his site doesn't bring him that much revenue anyway.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

And all those guys pad their numbers anyway. Analysts say viruses cause umpteen millions of dollars in damage....where do they get these numbers?

Some body orifice, I'm sure.....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    You mean kinda like the Mintick thing costing 1.5 Billion or some ****. Then they didn't report it to their shareholders...hummmm

Actually, they base it on the average revnue made during that time, the cost to have people restore all the information, the cost to have a sys admin patch a hole he should of years before (not on DDos attacks but on a lot of them), and the cost of hiring a security guy to investigate everything, make reccomendations, and implement changes...
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

They tried to get more $$ to spend on anything whatever they want to. I agree with Souleman " they didn't report it to their shareholders. FBI dont care about that stuffs till It happens BIGGEST SITUATION Then they will do care! If minor, they DONT CARE!

Odd; I would have figured they would consider DDoS or DOS attacks, an act of terrorism. heh.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

I've actually heard (possibly on GRC) on companies increasing the "estimated" damage total just so they can get a good case for prosecution. Has anybody else heard of this, or is it just an urban legend?

I'm my workings with those agencies (and with our own legal team), they always pad the numbers if they want to prosecute. In short, if they're pissed off about it, any decent security team is going to be able to easily demonstrate $US5000 worth of losses without trying too hard. My time, for example, I've been valued at some pretty ridiculous sums of money per hour (a lot more than I make, you can bet) - you can bet I'll spend enough time tracking and tracing it down and doing event analysis and the like to more-than-justify the $5k in damages. And the feds are often pretty liberal in what they'll accept as justification...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Originally posted here by KorpDeath

And all those guys pad their numbers anyway. Analysts say viruses cause umpteen millions of dollars in damage....where do they get these numbers?

Some body orifice, I'm sure.....

It's a well known fact that 87.23% of statistics are made up. Around 67.23409% of people know that...

Statitions(think thatís what there called) can twist the numbers to show what ever they see fit.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.