ms sql connections

Thread: ms sql connections

Banned

ms sql connections

besides the network client that comes with ms sql software package is there any other way to talk to a ms sql? i did search google, but maybe i wasnt using the correct terminology.

Banned
    ok sorry i found the answer...just incase someone else was wondering u use ODBC under admin tools in windows.

Actually, If you want anything done programmatically with anything higher level than C++ you reallt ought to use OLEDB since you have to use DAO or ADO for data access and none of them are able to speak with ODBC directly. What you are reffering to as ODBC is in fact the OLEDB-provider for ODBC which is a whole extra abstraction layer.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

You can also use 3rd party clients, for instance Merant's ODBC & JDBC drivers for MSSQL server and
    MS have an official JDBC type IV driver which can be used to connect also from non-MS platforms.

There is a 3rd party open source driver called FreeTDS, but I've tried it breifly and it doesn't work very
    well (in particular its error reporting is shagged)

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    maybe u can use the mysql aplication i am not sure if mysql and mssql are compatable and who knows if oracle works with it the web developer has its own built in thingy right?
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    maybe u can use the mysql aplication i am not sure if mysql and mssql are compatable and who knows if oracle works with it the web developer has its own built in thingy right?
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"