Thread: Help if You Can

GreekGoddess

Help if You Can

I had this wild idea..... (don't laugh, I sometimes think of the craziest things)

This is what I'm looking to do:

Create a flash where a penguin drops in from the top of the screen, flattens at the bottom before regaining his shape, starts jumping up and down and then explodes in to a bunch of little penguins that are all jumping up and down. (It would REALLY be awesome if it were Badtz-Maru)

I want this to be a project to learn how to do this, as I have no idea where to start. I don't even know if something like this is possible, but I'd like to give it a try. Could I get some opinions from veteran Flash users. Maybe someone who will be willing to help me (not do the work for me) but sort of guide me in what I would have to do to accomplish this. I'm assuming something like this would take some time to make it smooth. It would even be cool for them to say something funny as you roll the mouse over them (and I know how to do that.)

I'm looking for help along the lines of movement and animation..positioning....

Anything would help!

GreekGoddess, this is possible.

The dropdown part and up and down jumping shouldn't be a big problem (movie tweening with scale for the flattening).

If you want to be very cool and realistic, you should create every frame of the explosion (long loading times). But you can also mask this up by placing some graphic symbol over it in the form of on explosion (behind that graphic are the first keyframes of the little penquins).

That rollover part where they should say something, just a small part of actionscripts.

Hope this helped
    Bleh.

System_Overload

Thumbs up

Anything is possible... Im not that good with flash, but I can tell you about a cool site that may help you...
    Flashkit.com
    Down load some movies and check out the source. Thats how I learn. I hope it will work for you...

System_0verload

hehy GG thats easy if your good at drawing vector graphics
    all it would take is like 2 movie clips

In the first one you would draw your penguin
    then have that movie clip drop down using tweening...
    once it has reached the required level you could then insert a keyframe like 20 frames further along and use the deform option to squash it - insert another tween
    highlight those frames and copy them place them after the last frame and highlight them and choose reverse frames

now your penguin should fall squash down and then return to normal size
    now in your second movie clip draw like a cartoon exsplosion
    create a blank keyframe and insert your explosion which should be rather small to begin with - create another keyframe further along and scale the exsplosion mc up to whatever size you want while reducing its alpha by like 50%
    create a new layer and insert a keyframe at the end insert your penguin mc - now shrink it down to the correct size....use tweening to make it jump around etc whilst fading your exsplosion out the final 50%
    insert as many new layers with lil penguins as necsesary
    as for the rollover thats easy just create a new movieclip with whatever you want to be shown when u mousever in frame 2 of it and place a stop(); function in frame one
    this way you can have it in your movie all the time but it is not displayed util you tell it to move on to frame 2 as frame one is blank.....
    then use the action script
    on(rollOver){
    _root.yourmc.gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

and for the rollout use
    on(rollOut){
    _root.yourmc.gotoAndStop(1);
    }

hope that gives you some sort of idea as to what is involved???

oh the action script above will work in 5 & MX prolly 4 as well but i only ever work in 5 & mx.....

v_Ln

nothing else to say...valhallen said exactly what i would have advised. But instead of just movie clips, you could try a different scence. Hrms.. just thoughts
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

morfius - IMHO working with mc's is alot better than changing scenes....if you change a scene then any conditions set for the previous scene are lost...I know this doesn't matter for a simple animation like the one GG wants to create but when you start working on more advanced flash movies this can become a big issue!

v_Ln

I guess it does valhallen. But also scene's clean up your work alot, if you got a bunch of layers/mc/gfx on screen and you don't need them.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;