Logic Bombs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logic Bombs

Banned

Logic Bombs

Logic Bombs are like a virus right. Except they instead act upon a timed event or a trigger but there isnt any publicity about them. Im asking why they can just be as disturctive as any virus. Im asking why dont you hear about any logic bombs and if you do can you direct me to a place where i can correct my ingornace.

Banned
    People of the media don't call it like it is...

When was the last time you heard a media person call a computer criminal by his proper name, that of a cracker or script kiddie and not a hacker...

Same applies to a logic bomb...

The reason we never heard about them, is because they are classified as a virus....

Banned
    logic bomb n.

Code surreptitiously inserted into an application or OS that causes it to perform some destructive or security-compromising activity whenever specified conditions are met.

logic bomb n.

Code surreptitiously inserted into an application or OS that causes it to perform some destructive or security-compromising activity whenever specified conditions are met.
    Windows?
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

I ran across Bill Gates programming skills back in the mid 80's I recall the logic bomb well here it is..LOL remember Edlin?

1 Hello World
    2 GoTo 1

A logic bomb can be triggered by what ever design of the programer. The chernobile virus is a good example of a logic bomb on a certian date it triggers off events that destroy the PC it resides on. For example one could code a program to cause and error and then take advantage of a well known function or keyboard command like say remap the keyboard so the next logical action will not cause the desired reaction like ctrl+alt+del will not equal a login but another program to run. Logic bombs are written to take advantage of what a user or program will do in the next logical step but run something else and then program another reaction to the desired effect.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

i dont know but i would say viruses are logic bombs..
    coz they do damage when certain conditions are met....

To a point s0nIc is sorta correct...

but they also say logic bombs are only damage oriented..

What about a "virus" that spreads itself threw netbios shares and updates the OS with latest patchs every month? wouldnt that be a interesting sight??

; )
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

What about a "virus" that spreads itself threw netbios shares and updates the OS with latest patchs every month? wouldnt that be a interesting sight??
    Windows???
    no wait.. viruses do something...

The way I see it (and I could be wrong), is Logic bombs and Viruses are the same thing, but they could also be different. For example, if I was pissed off at a single individual, I could write a simple .bat file that would, when executed, format that individuals PC (BOOM). Now because I only sent this to one person and did not write in any code that would cause the program to replicate and send itself to any other PC, this, by definition would not be a virus but could be considered a Logic bomb.

That's just my 2 cents on the subject.

Cheers:
    DjM