Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall Linux?!

Uninstall Linux?!

Aiite I did the stupid thing and installed Linux Mandrake 8.2 Completely on my hard drive without partitioning anything. (dont flame me for it) and now I want to get rid of it completely and install windows 98 (I'm soooo sorry!!!). I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of it completely and install Windows 98. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    ~Apollovega~
    \"I will control my Destiny Terenica...I\'m not afraid.\"

Yeh, format your HDD. Just get a tool like fdisk or disk druid or something like that and completely format the hard drive, then get your install discs for Win98 and put them in and it should be automatic from then on.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    heh.. well this definetly is a newbie question.. But hey, I bet all the oldbies here did the same thing when they started out.

You know who you are.

Luckily this isn't too bad. I guess at this point you already realize your going to lose everything.

You did make backups right Well, if you didn't you will from now on... right...

Grab your windows boot disc (you do have one don't you?) If not go to a friends house and create one on their computer.

Throw in the boot disc and restart your computer. In the menu choose to start w/ cd-rom support.

when you get the c:\> or a:\> put your win98 cd in.

type format c:

when its done type d:

you should see d:\>

then type setup and you should be on your way.

hehe I know it's a newbie question and I'm sorry. I know you guys have better things to do with your time then try to solve my problems.
    I tried to install windows like that, but the thing said that it couldnt for some reason. I wish I could remember exactly what it read.. but I'll try out what Mr.Jehnx said after some more replies if there are any =)
    ~Apollovega~

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Hmmm.. okay.. restart your computer and hit F1 a bunch of times as soon as it starts (or whatever else you hit to enter the setup a.k.a. BIOS)

Make sure your computer's boot order is set to boot from

1)floopy drive
    2)cd-rom
    3)hard drive

I think that may be the problem.

And its no waste of my time.. I'm at work.. Now THATS a waste of my time.. heh

Hmm,
    We're you going to dual boot?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Aiite I did the stupid thing and installed Linux Mandrake 8.2 Completely on my hard drive without partitioning anything. (dont flame me for it) and now I want to get rid of it completely and install windows 98 (I'm soooo sorry!!!). I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of it completely and install Windows 98. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    Just set your BIOS to boot:
    1.) floppy
    2.) cdrom
    3.) hard disk

Then stick in the Win98 CD and restart. Windows will not allow you to have any other partitions on the hard drive except for FAT32 partitions so it will automatically detect that your disk is in linux format and ask you if you want to reformat to FAT32.

If you choose "Yes", it reformats.

If you choose "No", it reboots and ask you if you want to reformat.

"Hmmm", you say, "I think I'll reformat!" So format your disk and procede with the Win98 install as normal. You gotta love Microsoft .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Isn't the Win98 CD-Rom a bootable CD-ROM? It has always booted for me... when I used Win98, that is.
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

you have to delete the linux partitions. windows fdisk can't do it. you need to get a copy of aefdisk http://www.aefdisk.com/

put it on the boot floppy, when the system starts type aefdisk/delall. your done with aefdisk and can creat a new partition with fdisk format it and install windows
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thanks everyone very much for your replies and taking the time to Help me out. ^_^ Appreciate it a lot.
    I now have windows on my computer (Using it right now infact! ) except theres one more wee little problem I've encountered... And if anyone still wants to help this poor old [no wait young!] fool I would appreciate it a lot as well..
    I installed Linux awhile ago on my computer completely. So it used up all 10 gigs... And now since I have windows on my computer (it only has 1.69 gigs) I want to get all 10 gigs for windows.. I tried doing it one way where I put in my boot up disk for Linux..loaded it all up. And then when it got to the part where I got to choose "install" "Upgrade" "Upgrade packages only" I went to "Install"... But then it started telling me that my HD was to currupted for the computer to read! If anyone could guide me a long or give me links or just about ANYTHING I would adore you! lol. Thanks for reading this =)
    ~Apollovega~