Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Advice

I Need Advice

I manage 2 websites. One of which is on free webspace. Here if you want to check out the free one.

The other is a professional business site and I need some tips to keep the site secure. Here for the professional one. Thanks for any help.

In what way do you wish to secure them? The majority of security plans require server-side protection, and I doubt that you have access to the server for your free site.

Provide more info and I'll do my best to help you out.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Hacker protection. Defacing protection. Secure transmissions (ie email, sensitive info, etc.). Just that kind of stuff.

Do you have access to the server itself (i.e. you have dedicated hosting) or can you get your hosting company to switch on services such as SSH? All the stuff you want to do requires configuration on the server-side.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

One way of securing your emails would be to have them encrypted by a CGI script.

I think there is a sendmail version with PGP encryption available. I never really had to set it up but this is what I use at my business for internet orders. You can look at the following link :

http://www.cgiextremes.com/Scripts/F...ing/page2.php3
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

More CGI scripts, some with encryption

http://www.mycgiscripts.com/resources/Form_Processing/
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

If you want your site secure against defacement, make sure you use a server you have complete control over,
    take measures to prevent it being attacked by "skript kiddies" - i.e. keep it patched, turn off all unnecessary services, colo it somewhere with decent physical
    security and then make sure any applications you run (i.e. server-side) are written in a secure fashion.

Don't trust third parties - ensure that your staff and partners have only as much access as necessary and audit their actions in a reasonable way. Ensure your policy permits only strong passwords (remember attacks are quite likely to come from within your organisation or a partner's). Lock out accounts when they're no longer needed.

also bear in mind that you should still have a disaster recovery plan

Don't have your webserver running at root privilidges. If you are (which you probably aren't), I would advise to to change it to a severly permiisions-impaired luser acccount.

I forgot to add: Nice website!

your creating business sites in cool page????
    and people pay you to do this?
    if so how much (if you don't mind me asking)

/me gets ready to alter his web-design charges....hand coded html/dhtml and flash might be worth a bit more now

v_Ln