Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MS just refuses...

Angry MS just refuses...

So far both Bill Gates and Allchin state that release of Microsoft source code would destroy Windows security because the realease of the code would reveal the serious software flaws to hackers.

Personally, it scares me when computer security is based on keeping a flaw secret vs correcting the software and making is secure.

To read more on this from e-week go to:

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,...a=25876,00.asp

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,...a=26434,00.asp

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Re: MS just refuses...

Originally posted here by jehnx
    So far both Bill Gates and Allchin state that release of Microsoft source code would destroy Windows security because the realease of the code would reveal the serious software flaws to hackers.
    Ok. This leads to the obvious question what the heck hasn't been found yet on MS? And why wait for it to be found rather than fix it before then?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Security through obscrurity, when will MS learn that this tactic doesn't work?

I can understand MS wanting to protect it's commercial interests, but why doesn't it go down the road that Linux companies have done, open source and make your products free, and then charge for consultancy/installation services? Or do what IBM does - it may spend $1 billion promoting Linux but it will get that back when it sells a couple of servers.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

hmm Billy ol boy needs some more spanking.. *does an evil laugh...*

Oh come on! It took how long for the Doom-like game in Word/Excel to be found?!? Then
    there was the "flight simulator" in one of those... there's been oodles and oodles of stuff that's
    been found in M$ bloatware over the years. There's no telling what some bored developer has
    put in to an unsuspecting "about" page with their sh*t.

Any idea of how big an embarassment that would be to them if the code suddenly got out
    and it was widely public about just had poor their QA process is?!?! I mean... some companies
    go through pains to "exercise every line of code" in their tests... MS obviously leaves complete
    sections completely untested, else that stuff would never get out in the first place.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

At the start Windows would probably suffer a barrage of exploits but over time these would get fixed. But I guess, Windows is commercial so it is debatable on how long they could last...

str34m3r
    As much as I hate Microsoft's business practices and general stupidity, I would never want to see Windows source code in the open. I would have to immediately wipe the windows partitions on all my computers and hide in a bunker until the world stopped exploding. There are way too many people that rely on Windows software, and as Jethro said, it would get ugly real fast.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    heya jehnx yes i know i was inactive again but we havent around #CPC for some time come around...and about the MS source i believe a couple colleges were givin the sourse it was on the Cyberarmy Windows board under some law they were forsced to give it up i might go look for the link and post it here if i get time
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

emrys: Yeh, it was on CA-OSI webpage, and it was the source for the .NET encryption or some crap. I don't know, I got confused and just said screw it. I'll come to #cpc and talk to you guys. I missed the meeting the other day, sadly. PM me with any important info that went on besides the brigade breakup, please. Thanks, nice to hear from ya again.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    ok will do give me a sec to get somethimg t odrink ot keep me awake...hmm coffeee
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"