Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Questions

System_Overload

Question Weekend Questions

Here are a few questions for you to think about... *Have fun racking your brain*
    I will post all the answers on Sunday. Till then happy thinking...

Question 1:

The Earth is an estimated four and a half billion years old. If geologic time were somehow compressed into a single calendar year, on what date would human beings appear?

Question 2:

How much water can be stored in a camel's hump?

Question 3:

How high up do a nation's borders or airspace extend? Would an astronaut orbiting the Earth be in the U.S. when "flying over" the U.S. territorial area?

Question 4:

Why do Life Savers candy make blue sparks when you bite them?

Question 5:

Under what special circumstances were the typewriter, carbon paper and LP record invented? Were they all just the result of blind chance?

I have a feeling im going to get some really crazy answers....
    /me Loves making up crazy questions...

System_0verload

Banned
    life savers makes blue sparks???????

imma have to go buy some tomarrow and have some fun!

System_Overload

Thumbs up

Yep they do, but you have to be in total dark....

System_0verload

Re: Weekend Questions

Originally posted here by System_Overload
    Here are a few questions for you to think about... *Have fun racking your brain*
    I will post all the answers on Sunday. Till then happy thinking...

Question 1:

The Earth is an estimated four and a half billion years old. If geologic time were somehow compressed into a single calendar year, on what date would human beings appear?

A couple of minutes before 12am on december 31st (at the end of the year)
    Damn, not even enoguh time to get drunk

Question 2:

A couple of litres I would guess, depending on what/how you define "water" (Do blood, cells, organs count?)

Question 3:

How high up do a nation's borders or airspace extend? Would an astronaut orbiting the Earth be in the U.S. when "flying over" the U.S. territorial area?
    An interesting question. Some people consider space as starting about 50 miles up, but it's hard to know where the exact line might be.

Question 4:

I kind of remember this, it was some sort of piezoelectrical effect I think...too lazy/tired to google for it.

Question 5:

Under what special circumstances were the typewriter, carbon paper and LP record invented? Were they all just the result of blind chance?
    It'd be hard to invent those if you were blind...
    [/QUOTE]
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nĂ¡ engwar.

Question 1:

Depends on what you believe in. If you believe in evolution; that man evolved from apes, then there is not a certain date. If you don't believe in Evolution, then it is simple. October 31st.

Question 2:

----------
    From: http://www.biol.lu.se/zoofysiol/Djurartiklar/Kamel.html

Firstly, it can be ascertained that the camel's hump is not in fact filled with water, simply by cutting into it. Such action would reveal that the hump is in fact composed mostly of fat. Yet, this could still suggest that the hump acts as a water store - if a gram of fat is broken down during metabolism, it produces more than a gram of water. However, camels cannot use this fat for water production - due to the arid conditions prevailing in their habitat, they would lose too much water across their lungs in obtaining enough oxygen for fat degradation.

So, what is the role of the camel's hump? Unfortunately the answer is relatively dull - it appears that the humps are merely food reserves, and the fat and flesh contained within are absorbed as nutrition when food is scarce.

Then how exactly do camels get water? When dehydrated camels are offered water, they drink and they drink a lot. It is uncertain whether they drink more than they have actually lost. If they do, they store some water, not in their hump, but in their diluted body fluids. Camels also have an exceptional ability to minimize their water losses

Question 3:

3 miles

Question 4:

Build up of electrical charge

Question 5:

For the military.

[Disclaimer: Some answers might be correct, some might not be, some where meant for humor, others were meant for confusion. While questions 1-4; were not total guesses, 5, was. And if you believe this, you need to add more salt to your diet.]
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

System_Overload

Exclamation

Sweet check it out this is my 420th post and it's 4:20am... What are the odds of that *lol*
    Well you know what this means.... *hits the bong*
    Have a good night. I know I will...

System_0verload

GreekGoddess

Re: Weekend Questions

Question 1:

Dec. 31

Question 2:

Ummm......just like gstudios said, they're not for storing water, they're just mounds of flesh. And if I remember correctly, they deflate if they haven't had enough water, because just like humans, they'll use the fat, which does contain water, to hydrate themselves. The humps will retain their form if they drink water again.

Question 3:

18,000 to 60,000 feet

Question 4:

triboluminescence

Hell if I know **** about the last question.

Q3. yeah but if ur that high up, ur feet might be in peru, body in the US and, head in russia

(but it depends how high up u are)
    ps. i never want my head to be in anything russian :P hehe

preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

Rules of three.
    4*10^6 * 365 / 4.5*10^9
    Human being is born the 31st of december at 11:52 pm.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

System_Overload

Thumbs up

*lol* I see some good answers.... When I post the answers tomorrow I better get some green. I put a ton of work into every answer..... And every answer is 100% true...

Keep the answers comming you still have some time till I post all the answers...
    Have a good day...

System_0verload