Telnet useless?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telnet useless?

Banned

Telnet useless?

ok when you telnet into a windows system you get a banner, what do you do from there? as far as i can tell you cant get a command line you cant do anything....is telnet useless against a windows system?

Banned
    Perhaps the service is not working properly which could be caused by a variety of things is it your machine your trying to telnet to?

Banned
    no it's a wargames server that a friend of mine set up for us. I port scanned it smtp was open so was net-bios 139 and telnet 23 so i telneted into all of them and all i got was a banner and a bad request message.

Maybe it's not actually a telnet server, but something else set to run on port 23 - that or it wasn't configured correctly.
    It would help to know what the banner says

Telnet is fun to use and can be useful to gain some info but it is not really a good tool for war games nowadays.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

what kind of "windows system"? if ur trying 9x dont bother, if its NT/2k their might be a problem.

But the computer you connect to must have teh service running, like an FTP server (21)or a Webserver(80) you cant connect to it if it dosnt exist, try a non-aggreeive portscan to see if 23 is open

here`s a telnet tut from alastavista if ithelps ive not read it
    http://www.astalavista.com/library/basics/networking/ then the file TELNET-EXPLAINED.zip

preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

It should be working, ask the guy about it. Sounds weird to me.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

As far as I know, Telnet communication is almost useless nowadays... all firewalls, routers, and even ISP's cast a suspicious eye on them.
    Are you sure that your Telnet request isn't being blocked at your own ISP even BEFORE it gets to your intended target?
    Just a thought...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

i never heard of a ISP bloking telnet...how would they even do that? anyway telnet is very usefull u people are thinking of "telnet" as just port 23. telnet it a program... and u use it to connect to difenret ports but most comonly 23. services such as telnet, whois, finger and many others is usefull and does not autmaticly seem something supciuse is going on. True it was used alot more yrs ago but I'm just not sure u all know about the good telnet brings, lol.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

Telnets great but if youíre looking for security there are better options. One good thing is that it works well and the client is installed on almost every single computer.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.