Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Server

Linux Server

Does anybody know how to upload a file to a user account at a linux server accessed through telnet on Win2k? The file to be uploaded is in the local machine with Win2k OS.
    With great power comes great responsibility.

Try FTPing to the account.

Weeelll, If its someone you know, go right ahead and access them through FTP, like jethro said. If not, and its a *malicious* file, try a diffrent way in. Though, since this is a *scurity* site, im guessing its not a virus. SOOOO, use the FTP and upload it. If it has a ratio, it wont matter.
    Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most -Ozzy Osbourne
    CEREAL KILER!!!! HACK DAZ PLANET!!!!!!(sorry, movie rules, i know weve all seen it, and most of it is bullshit, but whatever)
    [glowpurple]Pï£0T ZéR0 X[/glowpurple]

Banned
    not RVD....... But F....T....P!

or try scp, which is more secure. there are several ssh/scp programs which run on windows (putty, openssh, openssh in cygwin...).

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

Ok so I FTP the file to the account but how do u do that? Is it done at the command line or in the DOS mode and what is the syntax for FTPing? I know the IP of the server and I also have a legitimate access to the Linux account.
    By the way PilotZero, the file is not *malicious*.

to learn more about ftp try this:
    http://oregonstate.edu/aw/tutorials/ftp/

or use google

you can try on the commandline:
    ftp thehost.com

or if you like you can type it in your favourite browser...

hope that helps!!
    the only thing that doesn\'t change is everything will always change.

Hey kermit! the tutorial about FTP's was very informative, but can u tell me how to upload files to a server using the MS-DOS built-in FTP program?

And what if the server is not configured for FTPing, suppose the server is a Linux or a SQL server. Then how do u upload or download files without using the above mentioned methods.

If the server isnt setup already for some type of file transfer, that means the admins dont want it to be able to do that. And I certainly dont want to help you do something the admins have decided you shouldnt do.

If you have some legit purpose for doing this, just call up the admin and ask for secure shell access, there are secure file transfer capabilities built into that.

If you are able to log in via ftp, the following should help a bit for uploading files.

I see the tutorial link you were given doesnt include the put command.

If you need to upload a file there are at least 2 commands to use. one is

put

the other is

mput

so if you wanted to upload lamer.txt you would type this after connected and logged in to the server via ftp

put lamer.txt

if you need to upload multiple files, you can use wildcards with the command mput

so, you could type

mput *.*

and it would upload all files in the directory you started the command line ftp app from.

same goes with get, if you need to get multiple files, you can use mget.

With both of those commands, you need to make sure that it will not prompt you for each file name, you can toggle this function on and off by typing

prompt

There should be some reply text letting you know whether it works or not.

Hi there,

After going through the tutorials, U should have realised there are some commands that you can use. Eg:
    put <filename> can help U to upload the files to the directory that you wanted.
    If you had gone through the tutorial, you should have realised that for FTP, you dun have to worry the server is Linux, Windows, etc. You will be using FTP commands only. So If you need help with the FTP, remember to type "help" and you will see a list of commands.

Hope this helps