Linux Samba serveur & DHCP

Thread: Linux Samba serveur & DHCP

Linux Samba serveur & DHCP

Hi,

I am trying to put up my first Redhat 7.1 server run Samba et make it a PDC and a DHCP server. I have 2 questions :

I've selected the gnome interface

1) How do i setup the server to be a DHCP server : there is a specific deamon/pgm or is it simply a param in the network setup?

HOW TO MAKE A REDHAT SERVER A DCHP SERVER ?

2) Samba is obviuosly not stared automatically when the server starts. But even when i run smb start manyually, i can't have any monitorring on what is happening on the domain define by my samba server : activity account login attempts : so i can trace porgress in making it working :

IS THERE ANY SOFTWARE TO MONITOR AND TRACE SAMBA SERVER, DOMAIN AND NETWORK ?

Thks fr yr help!

Firstly, DHCP and samba are completely independent things.

Setting up samba should be a matter of creating smb.conf correctly and then ensuring your smb service is set to startup automatically (for instance, using linuxconf (Is it linuxconf in RH?))

Secondly, I would not recommend using samba as a PDC for anything other than an experiment (although using it as a file server is fine)

Thirdly, there is a tutorial here http://networking.earthweb.com/netos...144701,00.html which tells you how to
    set it up as a PDC (I've never tried, although I've run it sucessfully as a file server in a production environment)

To start up DHCP, probably read the man page for dhcpd or such like (try man -k dhcp) - AFAIK it's just a matter of setting up a config file.

Oh yes, one other thing -

To monitor samba, you can use:

- Either turn the logging level up in smb.conf (logging level = 2 or above)

or

use smbstatus to check who's connected and from where (although this only works if they've succeeded)

and if you want to monitor browsing activity, try using browsmon.exe from the NT resource kit (I assume if you're installing samba there are some NT boxes on your network )