proxy servers

Thread: proxy servers

Question proxy servers

hello,
    i was looking last night for a good proxy server and i found several lists of anoymous servers ip addresses and a port to connect to ... i did a whois lookup on a few and found them to be state and government owned.i was wondering what are the legality issues of just signing onto a proxy without any sort of "permission" to be on it?
    i want to be able to be online anoymously,but webbased proxies are just tedious, and i found the one i was using didnt even really work that well...
    thanks in advance for any help.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    If they are public proxies / free proxies then there are no special legality issues...
    However, it's not garanteed that lists on the net stating free public proxies are indeed all public, so you can take the risk or try to find out if it's really a public proxy.

how can i tell if it is truely a public proxy? do you use a proxy?
    thanks for the input

Try downloading "The Proxomitron" and using the proxy with that! Negative wrote a tut on it that should probably still be in the Active Threads...

Senior since the 3 dot era
    destined 2 fail -> easy way: you can look for a webpage from the proxy "provider" (if available) saying that it is actually a free proxy... or use your common sense.
    Otherwise: using Proxomitron like Jethro mentions is indeed not a bad idea

Banned
    Here's something that should help you in your quest for anonymity:

Mainly, there are two types of proxies: Web Proxies, and Socks Proxies. When it comes to anonymity, Socks Proxies should be your choice. Unlike Web Proxies, Socks proxies are non-caching: there won't be a record of the web pages you fetched.

There's only one problem (besides the fact that they are slow because they don't have a cache): browsers like Internet Explorer don't support socks proxies.

The solution is
    SocksCap . You can use this tool to 'socksify' your ip-clients (browser, irc-client, email-client,...).

Here's a quick tutorial to get you started:

The tricky part of course is to find a decent Socks Proxy. Here's an extended list to get you started. I checked most of them today, and of all proxies I checked, I only came up with one working: 210.163.123.68, a Japanese proxy. Slow, but stable...

1. Download and install SocksCap.
    2. In the Socks Settings-window: Set the Socks Server to the proxy of your choice. Port is 1080. That Japanese proxy is a Socks 4.
    3. Click OK, and drag the application you want to be socksified to the SocksCap-window (let' say your browser).
    4. Just doubleclick the Browser-icon, and you're ready to go...

Now go to iNet Police or another environment-checker of your choice. If it says something like this, you're socksified!

Code:
    REMOTE_HOST  super.wiseinc.co.jp  
    REMOTE_ADDR  210.163.123.68  
    REMOTE_PORT  1100
    You can even set it up to work with irc-clients (although you'll need to do some fine-tuning...), and email-clients...

AntiOnline Newbie

I once made a tut for Socks connections.

You can find it there :

http://lyckus.iwarp.com/

No need to install anything, only add the IP + 1080 port in your Internet options (IE5)
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

i downloaded the proxomitron and am looking for the tut jethro mentioned..so far it seems pretty cool , not anoymous but some pretty badass features. thanks to everyone for all their help

I know this may be a dumb question, but if I don't ask I won't know, right?

I'm running FreeBSD as a gateway with NAT, lots of firewall rules, and high security settings...

Is there any way I can incorporate a proxy server on the gateway (one install seems better than individual installations for each host... I'm just lazy that way... )

If not, is there any other way I can mask information about my OS's, browsers, etc directly from the server? Any ideas on this would be GREATLY appreciated?

Thx,

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.