Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows keyboard tricks

Some thing to add about the windowskey+R. You can throw a bunch of shortcuts into the c:\windows\command dir. then you can just type in the name of the short cut and let it do all the hard work.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

i can't tel u all how many times ive used all of those.
    but each program usually has its own vender-specific shortcuts.
    i'm a graphic artist, so i use quark, photoshop and illustrator. people are amazed at my speed, when i attribute most of what i do to either keyboard shortcuts or keyboard and scroll mouse combined. eyes widen. its beautiful.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

This is true for any program, hitting logo then “L” will open outlook because its named “Launch Microsoft outlook”.

Just wanted to say that in XP pro that will log you off the machine and not open Outlook

Don't forget alt-enter to maximize/restore a window. Very useful for getting in and out of fullscreen DOS session prompts. That, ant logo + Pause/Break brings up your "system properties" applet. (List of components and IRQs etc.)

And shift-f10 is the same as the little 'context menu' button found on some keyboards. It's like right-clicking on things.

Some of these are VERY useful on public 'locked' workstations and kiosk computers.

And don't forget, don't ever forget, tab and shift-tab. (F6 and shift-F6 do some stuff in Windows Explorer too.) With the tab key, (not alt-tab) you can shift between form items and such. In fact, it's always interesting to see how much you can use the computer from only the keyboard.

In Opera:

shift-D useful if mouse breaks.
    control-shift click opens in a new window BEHIND the current one.
    g and shift-g toggle image display and page display....

Aw, the help file is sufficient.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

ctrl + ctrl = .....

t3chy
    do u know a shortcut key for maximizing / minimizing a window ?

AntiOnline Newbie
    windows key + D toggles between desktop and last open program
    windows key + M minimize

nice ... verry handy tips Tedob1 and everyone else i guess

I think my favourite shortcuts are the ASCII charaters in Word, b/c i take German, so to be able to make the umlauts and ess-sets are really easy.

One of the most often overlooked pieces of functionality I've seen is the quick-minimize combo. Just his Windows Key + D and you get right to your desktop, with your windows minimized. This only works on Win98 and up, but it's a handy timesaver.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

alt+space+n = minimize window
    alt+space+x = maximize window, etc..

used alternative ASCII is used alt+(number at the right sides, usually started with 0)
    example : alt+0178 = ²