Copy and Paste Information

Thread: Copy and Paste Information

Copy and Paste Information

I was reading the posts of S_O before he was banned and saw that some of you don't like it when others copy and paste other people's information. I'm just a bit curious why. I'm not one who does, because to tell you the truth I really don't want to put out the effort to do so. But what's wrong with copy and paste with the source.
    People, scientists, writers, students, have been soing so for years and it saves most people the time to go and have to look for it... I suppose you could put a link out for it, but what would be the point if you could have the text right there when you clicked the topic here in AO, especially when the link leads you to sites with tons of graphics that slow internet connections (1.5 KB like me), can't easily handle!
    WARNING: Keyboard not attached. Press F10 to continue...

well as long as you have the source there, most people dont really care if you c'n'p it. its just when it is without a link(or even saying it is not your material), or to the point of absurdaty(c'n'pin like every news article you see that has even the remotest thing to do with security)
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Flash M0nkey
    its not the copying and pasting thats the prob - its taking credit for others work!!
    But what's wrong with copy and paste with the source.
    nothing at all - cause by including the source your giving credit to the writer...

People, scientists, writers, students, have been soing so for years and it saves most people the time to go and have to look for it...
    yup they have...but you'll also notice that (usuall) at the back of such things there will be a bibliography listing where the information was taken from, who wrote it & sometime who published it if it is a book....

... I suppose you could put a link out for it, but what would be the point if you could have the text right there when you clicked the topic here in AO
    Posting the link allows people to check out the entire article as most peps will only post a few snippets to give you an idea of what it is about.....other than that it is nice to know what site they giot the information from as it is likely to contain similar articles for you to read as well....

especially when the link leads you to sites with tons of graphics that slow internet connections (1.5 KB like me), can't easily handle!
    get yourself a copy of lynx web-browser....txt only

v_Ln

Banned
    I think in the case of S-O, it was a small group of people on irc(neg) that had a hissy about one of his posts, which did really look like he was tryin' to take the credit, but I've read many posts here on AO that have practically been cut-n-paste w/ a few phrases changed and they never get busted, they get the 'great post man', even though they don't cite their source. . .around here it's all about, who's yer buddy, and what obscure site can I copy from to make myself look kewl. Sometimes I think this place is a lot like an old ladies bridge club. . .
    the answers to some of the questions newbies post are worth the site though, aside from the petty crap.

Flash M0nkey
    I've read many posts here on AO that have practically been cut-n-paste w/ a few phrases changed and they never get busted, they get the 'great post man', even though they don't cite their source
    well why didn't you say something then?? Ok alot of peps here have read a great deal of information but sometimes there will be something we havn't read!! It ain't favourtism its just that not everyone is going to have read everything on the web!!! Which due to the rate of sites going up would be an immposability

v_Ln

Banned
    Eh I'm here for the ocassional good advice and funny stuff, not rock the boat, while I was typing the last message I considered searching for the ones that really bugged me, but alas, I'm too damned lazy, heh heh, I'll bust 'em when they come up from now on though, even at the risk of the litle red dots. . .heh heh