Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HyperTechnologies Deep Freeze

hehe

Well, Its kinda eazy going by u're school...
    Either that, or you were hiding your tracks with perfection.

respect

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    This was in my 10th grade of high school.. Considering that was 6 years ago and I have college degrees now.. I think I did a pretty good job..

Do I regret doing it? Not really..

Would I do it again? Nope.. Don't need to now that I have a clear head. (something I lacked in High School)

Well, u managed to pass u're english later then. Passing is a beutiful thing keep it up

Um, btw... what was the subject we started with here...?

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    madness u form ft lauderdale? cool i am form miami ...oh by hte way the school security is way tighter now. once u actually get to find a hole u would get caught easily
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" ā€” G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Yeah very tru.. When I was in school the only thing they used was foolproof on macs and a simple login password on windows (if even that) most pc's were just "open". Most of the teachers knew that I knew alot about computers and would always call me out of class to help them fix their computers. So all the teachers and admins were used to seeing me on all their computers. I used to get about 100 requests a day to change grades. I never did though. (Nobody knew that I did either) heh

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    As far as I'm concerned, chances are, the 'admins' of schools are either teachers who haven't had the ability to disassemble a program (aka do anything you can think of with it) or they only do 'admin' work part-time which means they don't care really what happens, or it's higher grade kid who's an assistant of sorts and is trying to learn through the proper channels BUT isn't wise to the ways of 'script kiddies', who's main goal in life is to bypass, break, or otherwise get-around a program. Props to these two for at least not BO'ing the boxes, heh although it'd have been funny if the 'admin' BOed the client pcs and had the server on his own, assuming his is locked down like nobody's business.

Problem with public PCs is that they're available for anyone and that's significantly more than just 1 or 2 admins to fix it up. A program like DeepFreeze can only be efficient if it's set up right, and for whoever it was trying to "crack" the password, know that passwords can't be 'gleaned' from any file or whatnot. It's a phrase encrypted with the salt comparison test.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    damn another floridian how many of us are there in AO?
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" ā€” G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Jinx:

Well, I've meditated on the DeepFreeze inner working (purely hypothetically) for quite some time. The problem with a memory FAT is that the program lets you "delete" things, therefore if it was a simple FAT in mem, you would be able to physically overwrite data on the disk.

I believe it takes a copy of the FAT on bootup, and then uses this Virtual FAT as the "active" system, except with a few changes. The VFAT does NOT delete things normally. It maintains some system to keep "deleted" sectors from being overwritten. The real FAT is never touched at all after the point of copying.

Then when you reboot, it takes a copy of the FAT on the disk (which wasn't changed at all...)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Good thinking Terr. It has to handle deleting things differently or it would have a very high failure rate and screw things up every time the OS wrote some new data to the disk.
    Its not software piracy. Iā€™m just making multiple off site backups.