Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racial Discrimination NOW

Racial Discrimination NOW

First off let me define discrimination, Discrimination is the unequal treatment due to race, sex, nationality, etc.

Okay,
    I was watching the news yesterday, and there was a special on MSU. I myself live in Michigan as most of you know, and it sickens me that they are still discriminating based upon your race in their acceptance process. Now, I don't know about you, but I was raised and live in an integrated free America. Now I realize that I do not. In the Michigan State University, your status as a minority awards you points that are the equivalent to getting good SAT scores, your GPA, etc. Pardon me for saying this, but what the f***! How can a college get off accepting one person over another based upon their skin color. As I watched the program further I saw that when 2 equal people, both equal on SAT's and GPA and after school activities, applied to MSU, that the minority would get in simply because of their skin color. I am not saying that there should be White Power, what I am saying is that we should have equal treatment amongst the races, as it is written in the constitution. There should be no biased acceptance based upon what your skin color is. We have lived in a free society for the past many years after segregation was declared unethical and illegal, and with that went discrimination, or atleast I thought so. But this sickens me to the bone, that in this day and age in the 21st century, that your skin color is dictating whether or not you will get into college. Anyway what do all of you think of this disgrace to America?

Thumbs up

I have a dream. by MLK

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

Well, it seemed like a good idea.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

As minorities are under represented in higher educational institutes I think it is a good thing to quote them in because it will in the long run create a general higher education amongs minorities.

The thing is that most of theses minorities are struggeling with problems that the average american don't have. If everyone had the same possibilities from start I would understand your frustration but since this is not the case I think positive discrimination at times may be a good way to get somwhere with the problem.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

GreekGoddess
    Positive discrimination?

Banned
    Cool topic...(I love all topics with lots of pro's and lots of contra's - Oh, and don't argue with me, or you'll be banned).

The3ntropy, I completely agree with you, although by naming your topic 'Racial Discrimination NOW', you contradict everything you say...

In a perfect world, there is no discrimination. In the real world, there IS discrimination, and there'll always be. And imo, there is no discrimination without positive discrimination: people who discriminate others based on their race, automatically positively discriminate people of their own race. People who discriminate women, positively discriminate men. The opposite also is true: people who positively discriminate others, are discriminating. Period.
    That's why your topic-subject makes no sense, The3ntropy... Discrimination is as bad as positive discrimination (although you probably picked that subject to catch our attention ).

Maybe we should focus on the question why there is discrimination in the first place... I say, in America's case, it's a wrong use of resources: The States have the potential to be the ultimate country of freedom... too bad they use it the wrong way.

Let's stay on topic: education. I'm Belgian, so I'll stick to the Belgian educational system.
    In Belgium, all education is free (one year at university, the most expensive, costs about 400 USD). Schools aren't allowed to refuse students (even the dumbest guy is allowed to commence university studies). Parents are obligated to pay for the education of their children.
    The only thing that is pretty expensive is housing: since we only have 15 universities, most people rent a little studio while at university (about 250USD/month). Students whose parents can't afford this, get a scholarship covering most expenses.
    I've noticed that most college/university students in the States also have a job to pay for their education. I've never met a Belgian university student who has a job (besides, they wouldn't pass - university studies can't be combined with a job, unless you're the ultimate genius...).
    Who's funding all of this, you might ask. Well, the Belgian state is. Don't you pay for it yourself then by paying a lot of taxes, you might ask. Sure, but our government spends its money on education rather than on the army... As I said: wrong use of resources.

To get to my point: there's no need of positive discrimination in the Belgian educational system, simply because their is no discrimination...

Thumbs up

Who's funding all of this, you might ask. Well, the Belgian state is. Don't you pay for it yourself then by paying a lot of taxes, you might ask. Sure, but our government spends its money on education rather than on the army... As I said: wrong use of resources.
    OK, this is a cheap shot but I couldn't resist.
    In 1940 when Germany last invaded Belgium,
    the Belgian soldiers had about three bullets
    each.

A government that fails to protect the lives
    of its citizens, while boasting of free health care
    and education is useless and unnecessary, IMO.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by Negative
    Cool topic...(I love all topics with lots of pro's and lots of contra's - Oh, and don't argue with me, or you'll be banned).

The3ntropy, I completely agree with you, although by naming your topic 'Racial Discrimination NOW', you contradict everything you say...

In a perfect world, there is no discrimination. In the real world, there IS discrimination, and there'll always be. And imo, there is no discrimination without positive discrimination: people who discriminate others based on their race, automatically positively discriminate people of their own race. People who discriminate women, positively discriminate men. The opposite also is true: people who positively discriminate others, are discriminating. Period.
    That's why your topic-subject makes no sense, The3ntropy... Discrimination is as bad as positive discrimination (although you probably picked that subject to catch our attention ).

Maybe we should focus on the question why there is discrimination in the first place... I say, in America's case, it's a wrong use of resources: The States have the potential to be the ultimate country of freedom... too bad they use it the wrong way.

Let's stay on topic: education. I'm Belgian, so I'll stick to the Belgian educational system.
    In Belgium, all education is free (one year at university, the most expensive, costs about 400 USD). Schools aren't allowed to refuse students (even the dumbest guy is allowed to commence university studies). Parents are obligated to pay for the education of their children.
    The only thing that is pretty expensive is housing: since we only have 15 universities, most people rent a little studio while at university (about 250USD/month). Students whose parents can't afford this, get a scholarship covering most expenses.
    I've noticed that most college/university students in the States also have a job to pay for their education. I've never met a Belgian university student who has a job (besides, they wouldn't pass - university studies can't be combined with a job, unless you're the ultimate genius...).

To get to my point: there's no need of positive discrimination in the Belgian educational system, simply because their is no discrimination...
    Sounds great!!! Then I guess I need to send my kids to Belgium. Hey Neg, can they bunk with you?? hehehe

Please don't ban me.....please..
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted here by Negative

Sounds great!!! Then I guess I need to send my kids to Belgium. Hey Neg, can they bunk with you?? hehehe

Please don't ban me.....please..
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Hey Negative,
    I want to come to Belgium to study. Can I stay with you? I promise, I don't eat much (ok, that's not true. I do eat a lot). But seriously, I don't think quotas are the answer. What's wrong with just selecting the people with the best qualifications?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Hey Negative,
    I want to come to Belgium to study. Can I stay with you? I promise, I don't eat much (ok, that's not true. I do eat a lot). But seriously, I don't think quotas are the answer. What's wrong with just selecting the people with the best qualifications?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)