Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard and Screen problems

Banned

Keyboard and Screen problems

Hey all,

Was wondering if anybody can help or not...

Was reading the treads on keyboard tricks and mappers and it made me think of a problem I have with my laptop. I have a toshiba laptop that does not have the tildy "~" key. It's not much of an issue in Windows, but when I drop down to DOS, Window's filestructure falls to the 8.3 filesystem, thus making long Window's directories into c:\progra~1

I can't access any of these directories from DOS due to the lack of tildy! does anybody know of a possible alt+something combo or a alt+0### that would simulate it?

And, talking about my laptop, the screen is set to take 800x600 display, however, DOS displays in the 640x480 display, putting DOS in a rectangle with a 2" border around it... (suchs especially when trying to play games like Doom)
    btw, the bios has nothing to fix this...

Just fishing to see if someone knows that to do....

tilde (just so you know)
    alt + 126
    ~

If the DOS screen is in a 640x480 window on the desktop, I believe there is a full screen button on the toolbar somewhere, looks like a white square w/ blue border and red arrows pointing outward in each side (did it to mine and can't get it back down to window. aarrgh!)

EDIT: fixed my prob. alt+tab right click on it in taskbar, Properties --> Screen --> Window radio button
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Just hold down ALT and hit 126 on the key pad, the release ALT key. If your on a laptop you will most likely have to hold down some kind of function key to access the keypad if you even have one at all. To the best of my knowledge this does not work with the numbers along the top of the keyboard.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    Thank you, tried using Charmap.exe but it would only tell me that keystroke was "~"... grr...

Now to fix the screen issue...

Gonna e-mail toshiba about that one....

Dam I new someone would beat me to it. Cruse my crappy typing skilz.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    cwk9, no it doesn't work with the numbers at the top....

but yes, I do have to hold a "function" like key to access a numpad on my board... tnx

hey hun
    well i was gunna say character map but someone beat me to it and u say it doesnt work the way i was gunna tell u to use it, so u know what u could try? start>programs>accessories>accesibility>on-screen keyboard now what this does is display a keyboard ( and im pretty sure u know hwo to use an onscreen one) but if u dont just pm me or send me an email @ sweet_ass_chick_@hotmail.com ( out of curteousy, people who see my email dont send me stalker emails thnx )

Banned
    I usually disable/uninstall the disability options.... thanks anyways...

if you want dos to be full screen: (Alt +space bar) then "X"

to bring it back: shift + alt + enter
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

you should contact Toshiba, at work some of my (l) users upgraded their laptops to 2000 and they had a lot of issues getting dvd/resolution etc to work.
    Their website should have enough info.