Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new at networking

new at networking

I am new at networking an I just want to connect 2 computers together so that I can have one Server (Main with Internet service) and a Client. I know this does not have anything to do with security but it is the only closest place to network information that I can find so don't flame me for it. The Server will be the one with the high-speed internet connection (the one I am using now) and will be newer/faster than the client. All I need to do is connect my client to my server so I can share files, printer, and internet. What would I use (tool) to connect these two computers (hub, router, switch etc)? Also, these computers have different operating systems. The client will be using Windows 95 and the server will be using Windows ME. Will this tool still work?

Banned
    Use two nic cards, cat5 cables, a router to plug your dsl modem into (port 5 I believe) and your two computers (port 1 and 2)....

Use a networking proggy like HomeNetwork (with ME) to see the two computers....

Having different Win's don't matter.... they'll see each other (As long as you have a networking proggy running)

You can get a Linksys router pretty inexpensively that will let you use the same internet connection for four computers. www.linksys.com
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

if the ME is NTFS the 95 box wont be able to access any files. and i wouldnt enable file sharing against the internet. Im not sure how you connect, but the easiest would be to enable internet connection sharing on the ME box, and use it as the default gateway for the 95 mach. 2 nics in the me, 1 in the 95 and a crossover cable connection them. disable filesharing on the outside interface
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Wink general comments

He doesn't need to worry about NTFS on Windows ME correct?

I have set up the linksys router before. Very simple. Good luck.

Banned
    Using the two nic's and a router may be a little more expensive then the 3 nic's and a crossover, but, he'll save himself alot of headaches...

--------------------
    He doesn't need to worry about NTFS on Windows ME correct?
    --------------------

Sorry!your right, i was thinking xp, better go to bed....nahh!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    I thought so too...

You're forgiven Tedob1

Sweet Dreams

thanks dude, your oK!

Banned
    /me looks in mirror with look of amazement...

He said I was ok, he said I was oK!.... woohoo
    *jk*

/me needs to sleep too...