Thread: MySQL for Linux

Unhappy MySQL for Linux

I downloaded the freeware version of MySQL so I can create a forum using php, but when I installed the rpm it says set a password for root. So I tryed the command to set the password '/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password' but it says that the file 'mysqladmin' does not exist. So I decided to download the binarys, now I can see the file 'mysqladmin' but I can't execute it, it still says the file does not exist. Anybody know whats wrong? Could you please help me, thanks.
    Sitting Duck Security check it out

(All right, all right, you guys talked me into it, I will just learn PHP instead of using ASP.)

Banned
    u mightned have install mysqladmin try just using mysql at the promt or install a front end
    RiOtEr

correct path?
    if i remember correctly mysqladmin is by default in
    /usr/local/mysql/current/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'secret'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Knowledge is the Real Power"
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

You may need to actually be logged in as root (or a user with root priviledges) in order to install MySQL on your machine. Type 'su' at the command prompt (without the quotes '') and then type your root password when prompted. You should then be able to install MySQL.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.